my 3 year old refuses to go

my 3 year old refuses to pee. She knows were pee and poo goes, she always answers the potty. After having an accident she say next pee and poo goes in the potty. She will hold it till the cows come home and rather have an accident than sit on the potty. I can't get her to sit ever. It's like she knows she is controlling this situation and does not want to give in. How long will this last? I am remaining positive and saying that's ok, next time try and use the potty. Is this normal? And how many accidents will it take for her to get to the potty?

quinsgirl

Asked by quinsgirl at 10:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would say a lot of accidents, but it is good that she understands. maybe try offering her a reward. if she sits down and goes when she has to she can have a sticker or piece of candy. make it fun, have her sit on the potty and play with some toys and take her mind off of the actual event so she can relax and let it happen. good luck. I am still in the process of getting my daughter really interested in the potty. she isn't talking yet at 2, so it is hard for her to commincate with me when she has to go.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i think that sometimes the reward system can go both ways, she already knows how to control her bladder and likes feeling that control. so rewarding her for something that she is SUPPOSED to do could have neg. outcome, i read another moms post ab how her dd went pee in potty every 10 minutes to get a reward sooner lol! or she could be having accidents on purpose, she knows what she is doing! i would reccomend putting her in timeout. each day put her in panties and tell her that if she wents them she goes to time out. let the first accident be a warning and then do time out for each pee accident after that. keep praising her for going to potty when she does. poo usually takes longer it seems! mine was trained around 2, and she knew she would have timeout for not going potty. now sometimes sincere accidents happen, but she can control most.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• have her clean up her panties when she has an accident.maybe she'll put 2 and 2 together and figure this is not fun to control momma anymore
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Are you having her use a potty chair or a potty seat on the big potty?

I've heard rewards work well. My oldest would pee just find but refused to poop, after a couple of days of my cleaning his underwear, I made him do it and it worked wonders, twice he did it and he decided it was much better to poop on the potty instead. It does sound really mean and gross but it works and he learned that washing our hands afterwards was very important.

Good luck.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010