How often do I try something new?

My son is a year old and is going the picky eating stage. How often should I try a food that he has tried in the past and not liked? He hates egg and bananas and i have tried them multiple times and get the same reaction. There are other foods to, but these are the most rejected foods.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is the same way. even when i retry foods she used to like i get the same negative reaction. i usually wait a few weeks and then reintroduce it. i haven't had much luck and the pediatrician said that it is normal. make sure he is eating other good sources of food. maybe try something completely different that he hasn't had before, his tastes might be changing. good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You don't have to try a certain amount of times...just have him eat a bite or two every time you have it or make it. My son HATED all veggies for awhile...like years. When he was 4, I decided to take a week and feed him a different green(most rejected) veggie every night. Then, at the end of the week, I gave him a choice, I said eat like this, meaning, whatever veggie we have, or a serving of frozen mixed veggies(least rejected) every night. He chose the latter. I still made him try a bite of other stuff when we had it. Just not a serving. Now, at 13, he all of a sudden will eat any veggie...no arguement. Yes, it took forever, but, at least he will do it from 13 until adulthood. I got that much. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• have u tried preparing them differently? like if u give him scrambled try cookit it another way, or maybe add some cheese and a pinch of salt (i think eggs are gross without either lol) and if he wont eat a regular banana, try mashing it and feeding it to him with a spoon. if my son wont eat something i just keep giving it to him , sometimes he refuses to eat so i will give him a time out and that usually works for the tougher cases lol
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• There is so much out for them now'a days, thank god! 3 out of 5 of my kids are/where picky eaters.I tried something again every 2 / 3 months and then if they still had the <"gag reflex ", I layed off that one...lol..It can make a difference if you mix things together.Even to puree veggies to get them into their diet, I know it takes some extra time, but they grow so fast and we can't go backwards.Nutritionally getting them to eat things as raw as possible is great,but when that doesn't work mix away, good luck , oh and one of my kids will drink anything in a smoothie!!!
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We just kept trying things as we made them for ourselves. However, if he'd rejected them multiple times, I'd wait a few monthes and try again. I found that putting something onto our plates that I didn't give him would often result in a demand to have some of "Daddy's food" and he eat it.. You just have to love toddlers...
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010