How can I get my 2 year old totally off his bottle?

jennkc35

Asked by jennkc35 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• quit giving it to him. if he is drinking from other kinds of cups, then take the bottles and pack them away and never look back.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• well since u waited a lil while longer he is probably going to fuss!! i like super nannys idea about having them donate their bottles to the "babies" and then letting them decorate his own big boy cup! but he will still ask for a bottle and you just have to let him know they are gone and just give him the cup. he will get used to it. i just threw my sons away at 12 months and he didnt look back, now hes 2 and rarely even drink out of a sippy cup, he uses small plastic ones like us!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Why do you want him to get rid of it? I mean, youve let him have it this long. Whats significant about 2 that he needs to stop the bottle? I knew with my last child that he was the last and I let him have it until he was over 2...maybe closer to 3 and when we lost them all, it was over. I just never bought anymore. Theres nothing wrong with this teeth or his bite. Our society tells us all these rules but each mom needs to decide whats best for them. If you really feel its time to go, then replace it with a sippy cup or something else and be firm. Youre going to have some fussing but he really will be okay. Same for passy. (we have a passy problem in our home...LOL)
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Buy him a special cup that he picks out. It should have his favorite character on it! They think that is cool. Then tell him that your sending the bottle to the babies. The babies need them! Then get rid of all the bottles! Don't keep any. Hope this helps!
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I used the festivities at Christmas as a distraction to take the bottle away and it worked perfectly. It's almost as if she didn't notice. By the way, she is 18 months. Good luck! It's not as hard as people make it seem to be or at least it wasn't for us.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When my son was 11 1/2 months when I first started milk, I never gave him milk in a bottle. He started a sippy at about 6 months and I only put juice in it no formula. So when I started milk I put the bottles up for my next child. I agree with the other responses about getting him a sippy that he enjoys with the characters on them and send the bottles to little babies that need them he is a big boy now.It is always harder when they get older to ween them off of something, I am having problems with my son and his Pacifier he will be 2 in april and he wont give it up.
    nmlyndsee

Answer by nmlyndsee at 2:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2010