What are the pros and cons are to having your water broken vs letting it happen naturally?

AmeliaClaire

Asked by AmeliaClaire at 10:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well I've had 4 kids and from what I understand the Dr. doesn't want to break your water unless they have to.I've had mine broken for the last one.He just didn't want to come out!!!!!!!!!! ...lol..But it's more painful as if thats not bad enough.'It's so,so much better if everything goes as it should NATURAL. But if it has to be broke, it hurts and is sapposed to bring on the cotractions faster, not always the case so you may still be waiting a little while.It all is worth it. I'd do it again to get my son, in a heart beat! I Love all my children soooo much, the pain that I had during childbirth was harder the older i got. Good Luck! God Bless Baby.~*~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I had mine broken with all 3 of my vaginal births. With my first one I was 8-9 cm when they broke it, with my other two I was 4-6 cm. It didn't hurt at all and supposedly it helps labor progress faster. I don't know of any cons, I never experienced any problems because of it and I definitely dilated fast and the babies came fairly quickly after they broke my water.

Answer by missanc at 11:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• sometime you may HAVE to have you water broken. but then again sometimes if your water is broken before you start progressing then u may end up with a c-section if it has been broken for over 24 hours. but if you are having steady contraction and are dilating some then it can help the baby come out sooner.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• it can lead to a c-section. not all the time. i ahd my water broken with my first and had a vaginal birth, my water broke with my second and i also had a vaginal birth.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Well if you have your water broken you have to deliver within 24hrs. if you don't you end up having a c-section. Also there is not the cushion for the baby. So you ger more uncomfortable. With my first my water broke first. It was very uncomfortable. I noticed the difference with my second when my water did not brake till 2 hrs before baby came. Contractions seem harder. The water also helps the cervix open up better. The bag will push threw the opening and help it open.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• a big risk is cord prolapse which imo is not a risk i'm willing to take :-)

you probably already know this but i wanted to say that you do not HAVE to have your water broken. it will break on its own, just might be after baby is born :)

and you do not HAVE to deliver within 24 hours. while many OBs will try to put that restriction on you, it's not necessary. the risks of infection are actually quite low.

personally, my water broke on it's on before labor began, but labor began w/in 2 hours. so i can't really say what labor is like with the membranes intact :)
    Anonymous

• http://www.nursingcenter.com/Library/JournalArticle.asp?Article_ID=492886

Artificial rupturing of membranes (AROM) can lead to associated risks of a prolapsed umbilical cord, disruption of an undiagnosed vasa previa or placenta previa, and an increased likelihood of fetal heart rate (FHR) decelerations (Goffinet et al., 1997). ...the intervention carries risks that can be devastating without the immediate availability of a surgical team, operating room, and obstetrician.

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/a-cord-prolapse.html

Overt cord prolapse:
    ... the risk is that her umbilical cord will slip past your baby and present at your cervix or descend into your vagina and as a result cut of your baby's oxygen supply. This is the most common form of cord prolapse. This is most likely with small babies and the artificial rupturing of the membranes (AROM)...
    Anonymous

• here is another link

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab006167.html

The review of studies assessed the use of amniotomy routinely in all labours that started spontaneously. It also assessed the use of amniotomy in labours that started spontaneously but had become prolonged. There were 14 studies identified, involving 4893 women, none of which assessed whether amniotomy increased women's pain in labour. The evidence showed no shortening of the length of first stage of labour and a possible increase in caesarean section. Routine amniotomy is not recommended for normally progressing labours or in labours which have become prolonged.
    Anonymous

• There are no pro's for AROM, only risks, there is no proof at all that it speeds up labor and most hospitals put you on a clock after your water breaks. The biggest risk is that of a cord prolapse and i would never allow anyone to break my waters for that reason.
    Your water does not have to be broken by a doctor/midwife at all, for most women it will break on its own during labor or pushing, if it doesnt the baby can be born in the caul and that is considered good luck in a lot of cultures.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• There really aren't any pros to doing it. It doesn't actually speed up labor. The cons are that you are more likely to have a cord prolapse (where the cord comes through the cervix before baby's head, which then compresses it) which is dangerous and calls for an immediate c-section. Also, the bag of water provides a cushion around your baby, making contractions not so hard on them. There is just no reason for AROM. Your water doesn't have to break. My son was born in the caul. (with the amniotic sack intact around him)

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010