Making a cake

I will be making a cake for my son's birthday. How many days ahead of time, can I or should I make it? It's going to be somewhat time consuming I think, it is going to be 3 layers of cake covered with fondant and then have a few figures made of fondant on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• 1-2
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I either bake my cakes a week ahead, cool, wrap well, and freeze, then crumb-coat while frozen, or I bake them the day before I need to decorate - storing them for a day is always my big problem though. I have a big one to make for Sunday, I'll be baking one cake Friday and one early Saturday morning, then frosting and decorating Saturday afternoon/evening. (large layered cake, not teired).
    Anonymous

• Day one: make the cakes. Wrap them well and store in the pans (for protection in the frige. Make fondant wrap air tight and allow to rest. If you have fondant decorations that need to be air dried make them and allow to air dry in a dust free place (I use my closet, top shelf with the door shut.)

Day two: make icing, tort the cakes and fill them. Let them sit in the frige unitl well chilled. Ice (crumb coat) the cakes with a thin layer of icing. Chill well.

Day three: Cover cake in fondant and decorate

Day four: party day: (make sure you remove cake from frige early in the morning so it won't be cold) put on the final touches and serve!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010