The Pope inflicted pain on himslef regularly to be closer to Christ, thoughts?

The late Pope John Paul flagellated himself regularly to emulate Christ's suffering and signed a secret document saying that would resign instead of ruling for life if he became incurably ill, a new book shows.

The book, called "Why a Saint? was written by Monsignor Slawomir Oder, the Vatican official in charge of the process that could lead to Roman Catholic sainthood for John Paul. It includes some previously unpublished documents.

The book, which was published Tuesday, reveals that even when he was not ill, he inflicted pain on himself, known in Christianity as mortification, so as to feel closer to God.

In Krakow as in the Vatican, Karol Wojtyla flagellated himself," Oder writes in the book, citing testimony from people in the late pope's close entourage while he was bishop in his native Poland and after he was elected pope in 1978.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• So you have to feel the pain in order to identify with the suffering? Couldn't he have just imagined what it felt like?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I believe that is indicative of mental illness. Anyone who self mutilates should get psychiatric treatment, not be made into a role model.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Hmmm... my thoughts? Who cares... that is my thought.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

That is VERY true...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

IDK..guess not??? I don't get it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Agree with SRivero!

Answer by older at 11:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It's been long practiced for centuries, do I agree with it? No, it makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• self mutliation or mortification has long been practiced by not only christians, but various cultures. used in rituals to seek "enlightenment" or higher understanding of gods, it can be seen in the parades in india where they mutilate themselves during "trance-like states". self flagellation as a very common practice among monks in solitude. it doesnt surprise me, but i dont think ill be doing it any time soon. but anyone that devoted to their cause can be expected to go to further lengths than imaginable by outsiders. i get it..i just dont wanna do it lol
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The Catholic Church is out there so I am not shocked. My sister has slowly stopped coming around us after her conversion to Catholicism she is a true believer not just one in name like most are. She believes in some crazy stuff and since we don't say she is right she isn't around us. The Atheists, Protestants, Mormons and Buddist is my family manage to get along but she won't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2010