At what age should a child know their alphabet?

smw1

Asked by smw1 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No later than 5.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 7
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My son is 2.5 and can sing the song and tell you what letters are when you point to them. We drove through past a KFC last week and he told us he wanted to go to K....F.....C. If we eat out my husband brings it home, he just said the letters.

All kids are different, he has a cousin 2 months older than him that has known the alphabet for months and a cousin that is over three and dosen't.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I dont believe that there are any major SHOULDS with toddlers. Every child learns on their own time. You would be so surprised at how much a child learns by watching certain shows or the environment around them. Also a child can go into Kindy and not know EVERY single letter and come out at the end with all the knowledge they need. Dont push, dont rush, but do encourage. My 3 1/2 yr old is my 4th child and also my only one with ANY sory of delay. Its only in his speech, but he can recognize certain letters, especially the ones in his name. My oldest was literally reading at 3 1/2, so all kids are different. Introduce letters and sounds in a fun positive way, but dont worry about them GETTING it in any time frame. Its on their own terms. Good luck.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• However, it's never too early to start teaching. I was a preschool teacher in the twos and threes classroom for six years, and every kid left my classroom at 3 1/2 knowing the entire alphabet, upper and lower case.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It was my goal to teach my daughter by her 2nd birthday. By 2 she could sing the song, by 2 1/2 she could identify all capital and lower case letters.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Ours knew it by the age of 2 but I think that had more to do with me teaching them things, than them being early learners... The earlier you start the faster they pick things up.. At least that's been my experience. I don't think there's a set age for them to know. We had fun with it so they wanted to learn.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My son has a wooden alphabet puzzle, when you put the piece on it tells you what it is and what its for. Ex: A A is for apple.

He has leapfrog handheld game the you press a letter button and it shows the letter big on the screen and tells what it is for and shows a picture.

He also has a leapfrong magnet thing on the refridgeator with all the letters. You put the letter in the slot; it tells the letter, says the sounds it makes and what it is for. This is how he learned his alphabet. It is not something we really pushed these games are fun for him so he learned.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• every child learns at their own pace. my dd knew it by 33 mts.
    she has alot of alphabet toys, puzzles, she loves to color letters and she is a fast learner. like MrsLeftlane said, there is no set age. if your not introducing them is harder for them to learn
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• when they enter K they will be tested. we teachers do love for them to come to school knowing all the letters (upper and lower case) it is by no means required. my son is 4. he does not have one bit of interest in knowing letters. he can sing it. knows maybe half his letters. his bff is 5 months older and has known all of them since last summer. but my son is excellent in other areas so i am not worried yet. i just try to find fun ways to work with the letters. and teach him to read sight words (memorized words)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2010