Don't feed stray dogs! welfare- thoughts?

A South Carolina politician is making very a public apology - and this time it's not Governor Mark Sanford.

After likening welfare recepients to stray animals, Andre Bauer, the embattled Republican's lieutenant governor, is hastily back-pedalling from remarks his rivals have called "immoral."

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals," he said during a Town Hall meeting on Thursday.

"You know why? Because they breed! You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that."

thoughts on his comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• clapping

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• A little bit true....If people know they can keep getting things for free and not having to work for it then they will stay lazy and keep reproducing..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think the idiot has never gone through hard times.... He better hope he never does. Those PEOPLE that aren't working , are struggling,and have children that can't help the life they were born into.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It's doubtful he was talking about those who actually need it, even though that was a poor choice of words by any standard. People applaud that kind of thing though because there is far too much abuse of the system. You can call him and those who agree with him names like ass and demostrate you are no better than they are, but the truth is more people than you think are struggling and don't qualify for help. Many of us are also married and still need help but can't get it because we aren't going to lower ourselves to lying and working the system like most of the ones who "need" welfare are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• still doesnt give anyone the right to bash us all. we get lumped into one big pot and hell no that isnt fair to me or my family to have to feel like some kind of family of leeches who lies and cheats the system to get over either. everyone has done things that they are exactly proud of. the only difference is i refuse to be to proud to let my family starve or be homeless!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I am only disappointed that he is apologizing for his remarks. He is not talking about those who fell on hard times. Just the morons who plan their families and lives around social entitlements. Stop giving them handouts they will have to stand on their own.
    Anonymous

• More dehumanization of the working poor is not going to boost our economy or create a united nation. What a douche.

This kind of thinking perpetuates low wages and businesses moving over seas. Our labor class is seen as un-trainable dogs.

Ignorance is legal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• well while that comment should not have been made public I do have to say at least he spoke the truth to some extent. Seriously there are many who abuse the system and have no problem going from a non working, non motivate career welfare using child to an adult. I have no problem with those who truely need it but I have huge issues with those that aren't willing to help themselves or even try. And I agree I was told by rhe state of New Jersey when I was working 60 plus hours a week at 7 an hour to quit my job and go on welfare cause I'd be better off. Sorry all I wanted was some food stamps to help make ends meet. I was not giving up a full time job with benefits cause they deemed me to rich for help. BS! yes I know people that have been on it for years with 4 kids and no effort to find jobs.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I get his point. And he is right. BUT the choice of words were tasteless and made him look pretty bad. Hopefully, he will be smart and choose a better choice next time.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Andre Bauer is completely correct. We should leave unwanted pets and poor people to die in ditches. That's the selfish and immoral way to live. Good for him. What an embarrassment to our country.
    Anonymous