toddlers misbehaving!! please is someone else having a rough day this morning lol!

my 20 month old is determined to get a spanking today! i hate spanking him but he has such an attitude today!!! its not even noon and he has been in time out 3 times already! if he wants something that he cant have and i tell him to put it back he will throw it (in anger!). i was attempting to make him a cup of milk, but i want him to learn how to say it. so i get the empty cup and walk to the fridge and he screams and crys for the cup so i give him the empty cup to get the milk out of the fridge and he throws it at me! really where does he gets his attitude from lmao!!

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Spanking is an effective disciplinary tool, otherwise, the bible wouldn't suggest it. I mean, seriously. Bleeding hearts of the world unite...
    Anyway, one swat on the thigh if ABSOLUTELY necessary, otherwise, try ignoring his bad behavior. He IS just trying to get a rise out of you. Set him down on the couch. If he gets up, sethisass down again-NOT SAYING A WORD to him. If he realizes he's not going to get a rise out of you, he will probably change his tune.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 11:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• oooooh my day has been a rough one! my son, 21 m/o was up at 430. He is taking a nap because he fell asleep in the high chair during breakfast around 930. I am exhausted. I passed out on the couch for maybe 10 minutes lol. He spent the early morning throwing a maaaaajor tantrum. He isnt very verbal yet but I know when he wants milk. he takes my hand and drags me to the fridge. I have been teaching him baby signing so he can communicate more clearly to me. When he wants a milk refill, I teach him the sign for "more". He is getting the hang of it. In fact this morning, he threw the cup at me and I asked him "what do you do when you want milk". He signed "more" and said "me me me". I corrected him and did the sign for "milk" since he wasnt in fact getting "more", but I was so proud of his effort/ He got his milk and I got a smile and some peace and quiet lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My dd just started doing this! I tell her to use her words and calm down. When I get the sippy I try getting her to count with me to any number really! It's a trick of keeping them busy during that couple seconds! lol Very VERY frustrating at times!!! Half the time she's trying to climb my leg or run into the fridge to find something else to drink! I let her because it keeps her busy so I can pour it! dd isn't awake just yet, but we'll see how today turns out... lol
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• lmao i am loving watermelonnerd....."sityoassdown" i remember that from when i was a kid!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It worked, didn't it??? I don't know about you, but I think the world would be LESS violent if corporal punishment...NOT beatings-because there IS a difference!...was used more!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• lol how is the world less violent when you act out violence? a toddler should not be spanked.. they are just a toddlers....they dont understand why they throw tantrums. a swat on the butt will teach fear and teach them to hit. I was never hit as a child and I turned out fine. in fact, the pacifism in my household growing up has taught me to be a pacifist and I will do the same for my child. yes I am the authority to my child, I am the mother, not the best friend, but there are gentler ways to be disciplinary. JMO.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• What if the child is doing something that would harm himself/herself or someone else? It got my son to stop trying to unplug the safety plugs! I tried diversion tactics first, of course. It was a last resort. He stopped!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My 24 month old does the same thing. I do explain to him not to throw things and tell him why ( It will break or you could hurt someone or you can make a mess) If my son throws food I take his plate away and ask him to pick up the mess and put it on his plate and then into the trash. I think they act out in those ways because they do not have the words they need to express there feelings or frustrations. Say things like are you upset because you want a drink? It takes patience ,but its worth it. I do not spank personally. I think teaching your child the vocabulary they can use to communicate will resolve things easier. Goodluck!!

marie85

Answer by marie85 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i'm like marie 85.... I draghisass over to pick something up and throw int he trash if he refuses. And if he talks back I tell him it hurts mommy and he has a chance to apologize. If he doesn't (most the time he says he's sorry and gives kisses) I walk him upstairs to time out in his room.

While I don't agree with spanking I do agree with isolation... seems it's the one thing that works for my terror. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to get a new door handle for his room that has a lock on it. he wripped off the cheap one from the baby store..

You're not alone and glad i read this becuase i'm about to put mine on ebay with the lowest bid at $5.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010