how do i keep my one year old from climbing on the couch,chairs,tables, ect.

my one year old just figured how to climb on furniture. i get so scard cause im afraid hes gonna fall and get hurt and we have hard wood floors. i try every thing to prevent him but he always finds a way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's exploring his world. Just spot him so he doesn't hurt himself when he falls. He'll either get tired of exploring or he'll do it so much that he learns how to climb without falling. If it bothers you that much then distract him and go where you want him to be, get in the floor and start playing with his toys. He will follow you.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• electric shock collar I'M KIDDING!!!!! Just keep setting him down, telling him no & explaining to him he's gonna get hurt. The times he does fall (its gonna happen) he'll start to associate w/ hurt & doing what he's not supposed to. You're gonna get really tired of the N word...NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• he's gonna fall. cushions on the floor. pillows surrounding everything!!! it's hard to keep them down.
    klatshaw

Answer by klatshaw at 11:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You just make sure you are there to watch him. We have wood floors and I have a daughter who climbed everything. Your child will fall and that's ok too, you will be there to pick him up and dust him off. But keep a watchful eye is the only thing I know to do. GL.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If it is some place he can sit. Then spot him. If it like climbing on top of the table or shelfs. Keep telling him no and why. Then redirect him to do something else. They are going to explore and always see what they can and can't do. This is how them learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Instead of the big N word, I say it's dangerous. It's okay to sit on them, or lay on them, but if she stand on it, she can fall and get an OWIE. I show her what's dangerous in the house, and explain why it's dangerous. She's 15 months and nothing is baby proof. Except for one set of electrical sockets. She still climbs occasionally, I actually found her standing on a foot rest today. Kids will be kids, just got to be careful :) GL
    Anonymous

• we put the couch cutions and all our pillows in a pile on the floor. it keeps his mind off climbing for a while. I was told at night if he keeps climbing safety pin his feety pj's together or put him in a sleep sack. My son is on his way to a mountian climber too.
    hippiemom04

Answer by hippiemom04 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2010