why the hell does he do this?!?!?!

my son will be 2 in may and i am working on properly delivering timeouts bc he has a real mean attitude sometimes! he will push his sister out of the way when i pass out snacks in hopes of getting his first, he will throw things if you tell him no, etc. so i will put him in his room on the other side of the child gate for 2 minutes, but then when i go to the gate to pick him up he runs and jumps into his bed and hides his face likes he is soo mad at men, then when i walk away he screams bloody murder lol! most of the time i just ignore it and leave him thee an extra minute but why does he do that?

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a phase that kids go through to see if they can run the house. Both mine tried it unsuccessfully.
    Ya big bully, you. *snickers*
    <3 xox
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 1:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You said it yourself. You are making him so angry. You are creating an angry young child. See my post in your other question about being a bully and what you are teaching him. You are teaching him to act the way he does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Sounds like negative attention is better than no attention at all. He wants your attention. Try ignoring this behavior..the screaming and fit throwing I mean.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• sorry anon but disciplining your child is not being a bully. so by placing him in his room when he does something wrong means im being a bully???
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i think it's a toddler phase... testing the waters. my dd is 26 mos and just started doing this! If I disclipline her in any way she is mad at me and will cross her arms in front of her and tell me "no" over and over and over or thwo things, hit and scuh! I think (i don't kow) that after the punishment it's better to calmly talk to them about why they got in trouble, explain that it is ok to be upset and mad (it is an emotion we all feel!) and teach him other ways to handle it. I currently have my dd take deep breaths which I thought was dumb but it works for her! I guess try letting him know punishment is over, take the gate down afterwards and let him calmly come out of his room?
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Ya i agree with lilmama. Its just a sign of resentment (sp lol). He wants things done his way and his way only. My son is doing the same thing and hes 28 months old. Try to ignore him when he throws fits and he will eventually get tired of not gettn the attention he expects.... the time outs that is. Only time will tell lol!! Good Luck
    Chaney08

Answer by Chaney08 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I believe it is typical toddler behaviour too... They need to learn empathy for others and also they don't have all the words they need in order to communicate Im sure that is frustrating for them. My 2 year old is alot like that at times. He kicks pinches and pulls his brother hair. I put him in a time out( mostly to separate the two so my oldest son doesn't get hurt) ,but I also try to get him to understand that hurts his brother. Use words he can understand for instance I say "that's not ok, that gives your brother a BOOBOO".He knows Boo Boos hurt. I never had to deal with these things when my first son was young he had more socializing at this age because he was in daycare . He was a kind child he didn't hit bite or pull hair so this is all new to me too with this one. It presses your patience to say the least. Pick your battles wisely if its something you can ignore sometimes thats best.

marie85

Answer by marie85 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I agree with lil mama and marie... talk to him about it and let him know it's okay to be mad but not okay to scream, etc. My DD is 15 months, and occasionally she'll have her melt down. I tell her that we don't scream, and we use our words. Then I ask her what's wrong. Sometimes she'll let me know or she'll just scream harder. If she doesn't calm down, I take her to her crib and set her in there to have her temper tantrum in there (where she can't hurt herself) I never leave, and I sit and talk to her. For example, I'll say something like: "Chocolate is for after lunch or dinner. We save sweets for afterwards because it's the best part. If you have too much in the daytime, you'll have too much energy and won't be able to sleep early. Too much chocolate isn't good for you either." Sometimes she stops and looks at me, and by the time I'm halfway through she's standing, calmly, listening to every word.
    Anonymous

• Othertimes, she still screams. So I just let her know that we use our words when we're upset, not our loud voices. Once you calm down, we can go and read a book. (I show her how to breathe too, and count to ten)....
    Anonymous

• continuted) I think showing him how to control his anger rather then strictly punishing him might be a better way to handle it. Reward his good behavior more than you punish his bad. Get the book Me First, by Helen Lester. It's a good book that teaches kids that being first isn't always best.
    Anonymous