I'm pregnant and worried about catching toxoplasmosis or listeria when at parties etc from friends eating pate and Parma ham etc and then touching door handles etc that I then touch?! Could you catch them this way? Thank you x

Toxoplasmosis and listeria

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i think you are worrying a bit much. unless u eat it, dont fret!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Avoid these infections you should take care to:

•only eat meat which has been thoroughly cooked
    •cooked/chilled meals should be thoroughly reheated and piping hot
    •avoid eating soft cheeses such as brie, camembert and blue vein types, i.e. those made from unpasteurised dairy products
    •avoid liver and liver products such as pate
    •avoid raw and undercooked eggs and food containing these such as coleslaw and mayonnaise
    •wash your hands and all cooking utensils after preparing raw meat
    •wear rubber gloves when handling cat litter trays and clear out faeces daily. Always wash your hands and gloves afterwards. If possible, get someone else to do the job while you are pregnant
    •cover sand pits to prevent cats using them as litter trays
    •avoid contact with ewes at lambing time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Just make sure you wash your hands! You'd be surprised how many infections and viruses you can prevent spreading by that simple act.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Um I think you are being over paranoid, WAY over paranoid. Stay away from foods that you KNOW that you aren't supposed to eat. I ate whatever I felt I wanted to eat when preggers, we have always had cats, eventhough my hub was supposed to clean the cat box, he didn't always so I did. I used gloves and a mask sometimes.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• just....RELAX!

be aware of what you are eating - if its freaking you out - don't go to parties.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010