Anyone know of any good potty training tips?

My daughter is almost 21 months old and very stubborn. She likes to fight me on everything! Anyone have any good potty training tips to maybe make things a little easier for the both of us?

Dodie702

Asked by Dodie702 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My only advice is not to push her... When she's ready she will let you know. Make the potty chair available but don't make her use it... Ease her into it. All of our boys were using the potty fulltime by 2 1/2 yrs..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My daughter was showing signs of being ready at 21 months, but was also very stubborn. I don't want to discourage you, but she did not really get the hang of it until after she turned 3. I think that I pushed her too hard because I thought she should be ready, (other kids were already trained), and that made her rebel even more. The only thing that I would recommend is making the potty available to her, maybe using pull ups (if that's something you're ok with) and mostly not worrying! Don't worry, she'll get it, she won't be going off to school in diapers! Every kid is different, just wait, you're going to get answers from moms who have kids that are already potty trained and ones that have children that are much older and not yet going potty on their own.
    JoMomma2

Answer by JoMomma2 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Can she use words to express the need to go? (she won't at first, but, the ability helps)
    Can she pull his pants up and down? (Again, she won't at first, but, the ability helps)
    Can she stay dry through naptime/at least two hours?
    Will she sit on the potty, big or little?
    Is she at all scared of it?
    Does she seem even slightly interested in it/intrigued by it?

If she shows all of these signs, then, chances are she is ready to try. Be consistant and constant. If you can, set aside a week for this specifically. Lose the diapers and got straight to big girl undies. Praise her and expect setbacks. Day will come before night training. Don't give up. It shouldn't take very long at all if she cooperates. Good Luck.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010