Has anyone remarried and you have children? Did you include them in the wedding?

My girls are 11 and 16. I have been divorced for almost 3 years (even though the marriage was over in 2004). I am getting remarried in June this year and am looking for ideas on how to include my girls other than having them in the bridal party.

hlevesque1976

Asked by hlevesque1976 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd ask them if they want to be in it. My youngest was in it. My two older ones didn't want to be in it.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My mom and dad got married when I was 8. My little siblings were 6 and 4 and my older sisters were 18 and 20. We were all involved in the wedding, the little girls were flower girls, the older ones were bridesmaids, my brother was the ringbearer.

I don't know how you can have them involved without them being in the bridal party. Maybe one could play DJ at the reception... I just don't think it's possible without making them feel like workhorses lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• have em be the brides maids if they want. im getting remarried to my hubby just cus we got married at the court house.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My dh and I just eloped, because it was cheaper than doing a "real" wedding and we put what we would have spent on a wedding into buying a big house - much better investment! But if I'd had a wedding, my kids would have been in my wedding party rather than having some smaller part. You could just have them walk in, like after the grandparents but before the wedding really starts. Maybe someone else has an idea about a unity candle idea where each child lights a candle, you light your candle from theirs and then unite it with your husbands?
    My mom married my stepdad when I was 9, my sister was 11, my brother was 7 and my stepbrothers were 6 and 8. We WERE their wedding party. lol It was nice to be included because it wasn't just a union between our parents, it united ALL of us. (my dad had passed away, their mom was not in their lives at all)

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I had my husband's grown daughters and my own teenage daughter as bridesmaids. Not sure of other ways to have included them. They were adorable all dressed in dresses that were same fabric & color but slightly different cut for each dress.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Other than bridesmaids and flower-girls they could greet and guard the guest book and gift table. They could do readings or toasts. Or you could go non-traditional and let them be ushers/seat people. You could include them in some candle lighting. Can the sing?

Anonymous

• Thank you all for your answers. They are in the wedding party. And I was thinking we would give them each a necklace to represent their bond to the both of us (just like the groom and bride do with rings). we were also thinking to do a unity candle or sand of some sort.
    hlevesque1976

Answer by hlevesque1976 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When my cousin remarried her daughter walked down the isle with her and her new husband gave her a little ring that looked like her wedding ring, but she was only 5 years old, so it might not work as well for older kids. Still, a variation might be something that would get them involved and make it special for everyone.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 6:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2010