i am haveing a hard time weaning my 1 yr old from the breast.

She wants to nurse 3 or 4 times a day still, she is bitting and i am sore, if i am not home she is just fine for the most part. she screams for 15 mins at least before her father has had enough and has me give in. any suggestions to make the breast less appealing to her. She doesn't always want it to fall asleep, justwants to have a drink, she loves reg cows milk so that is not an issue she will drink it any other time.
i need to get her weaned by june when the new baby is due.

jbowersmomof4

Asked by jbowersmomof4 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Weaning can be so hard. Just start with one feeding. Have her pick out a sippy cup she loves. Then when it comes to when she wants to breastfeed. Have her help you fill it with milk or pump and put the breast milk in it. Then once you have her cut down on breastfeeding. Slowly cut it to cows milk. I hope that helps you out at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Have you considered tandem nursing? It doesn't sound like she's ready to wean and weaning right now before the baby is due may cause jealousy issues after baby comes.

As for the biting... you just have to teach her that's not okay.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would hang on and let it happen naturally. The majority of children will self wean due to the taste of pregnant mommy's milk. It turns to colostrum and isn't as sweet and desirable for them. Regarding the biting pull her from the breast when the bite occurs and sternly say no. Allow her to nurse again and if the action is repeated again a stern no then remove her from the breast for 20 min before allowing her to nurse again.  Good Luck and congratulations on the new baby!

Anonymous

• Knowing that her parents will eventually give in if she screams long enough is encouraging her to continue to do it. You have to be consistent, regardless of her reaction. I wouldn't have been comfortable breastfeeding my older child and my baby, but if you're comfortable with that, it's an option.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You may have gotten into a bit of a power struggle with her where you say no and then she fights for it. Try a week or two of "don't offer, don't refuse" and see if she stops asking so much. Sometimes the more you say "no", the more they ask and when you stop saying no they stop asking.
    At the same time avoid situations where she is likely to ask. If you think she is going to ask try and distract her before she does.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• how far along are you? my son weaned himself at 13 mos when i was 3 mos pregnant, the milk changes during pregnancy.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Many moms successfully tandem nurse.

What is the consequence for biting?

Great information here: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010