Tummy Time Concern

I'm curious as to how old my baby should be before giving him tummy time. He's 16 days old. I give him a bit of tummy time on my chest but he usually either wants to eat or falls asleep. Also, I have wood floors and I am afraid of him bashing his face. Any ideas to keep that from happening when he can have tummy time on the floor?

hazelnutx

Asked by hazelnutx at 12:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have wood floors and I just put down blankets. Luckily my MIL makes my daughter one blanket each month for her first year and she's 5 months now. Not to mention all the blankets we got as gifts. So we are not in need of small blankets around here that's for sure. My daughter also hates tummy time, though, when she was around 3 months and could hold her head up better she would tolerated it for a little longer than before. Usually she'll only go for about 5-10 minutes at time, even now.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Put some blankets down under him...or if you have a pack n' play, or something..put him in there...or his crib...
    Anonymous

• and you can do tummy time right away..there is no age limit
    Anonymous

• You can do it now, just set a blanket down. My daughter only would sleep or scream when she did tummy time. So we didnt do it often, she still pushed up and started crawling at 6 months so it was no loss.
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Even when I was in one of our rooms that had carpet, I always put down one of his softer blankets for him. You can do it now - the earlier you start, the better chance he will get used to it and like it. It took some time for my son to get used to, but I would get down in the floor with him and sing to him, or read a book to him.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010