I was told I can give my son yogurt...

he's almost 8 months old. I know he can have the Yobaby yogurt, but that's expensive....so I'm curious....do I get him nonfat yogurt, or regular plain yogurt....because pretty much the only yogurt I can find anywhere is nonfat yogurt...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DO NOT give him nonfat yogurt! His brain needs the fat! Only give him full-fat yogurt. My daughter ate plain just fine.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The yobaby yogurt isn't any more expensive than the regular yogurt. At Walmart it is $3.00 for 6 of them. That's $,50 each. Don't give him the other yogurt without your pediatrician's approval because it isn't formulated for babies and may not be safe.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Regular yogurt is fine - you do not need to buy special "baby" yogurt and it is more expensive. It's harder to find yogurt that isn't nonfat, but just keep looking. Usually you can find at least plain, nonflavored yogurt in full fat and then just add your own fruit to it (or you can use pureed fruit) if you feel the need to, although a lot of babies like the plain.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• its not that fat that is fine. you need to look for a kind with less sugar in it
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Look for plain whole milk yogurt and mix a little fruit (like applesauce) into it. You can get it in the bigger containers and it is a lot cheaper.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Do you own research, and make your own decision. Dairy is an allergy trigger food; I do not think that it should be given to a child under age 1.

If you choose to give your child yogurt, it should have live cultures, it should not have gelatin or high fructose corn syrup, it should be pesticide and hormone free.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010