My son got invited to a Birthday party and didn't go because the kid is not really his friend...

The boy's Birthday was in Dec. and he invited my son to his party. But we didn't send him because there was no invitation and no phone call from his parents. This kid lies about parties all the time!
So when my son went to school the week after the kid was like "where's my gift"? My son said "Uh, I forgot it." There was no gift but my son made it seem like we had a gift for him. So since then, it's been about two weeks and this kid has harrassed my son for a freakin gift! So last night, my son brought it up again, that he was still asking for a gift. So we went out last night and bought him a gift (Hotwheels and a ball). Now my son is worried he won't appreciate it! He's not even nice to my son, but I couldn't allow my son to be bullied by this pest for one more day! What would you have done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldnt have bought a gift thats for sure, i would have gone to the school and reported the harrasment and asked for a meeting with the childs parents. Parents need to be called out when their kids act like this. Even if you had recieved a invitation and didnt go that doesnt mean that you owe the child a gift.

I still think even though you bought the gift you need to contact the parents and have a discussion about their child behavior, if this is a problem at school and you feel more comfortable involving hte teacher then do that. I wouldnt just let it go, because now this child knows that he canget your son to get you to buy him things KWIM?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• gosh kids can be so mean... I would do the same thing you did but at this point you dont really know if that will stir this kid to be meaner or pick on him.. is this like a bully type kid?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I agree with 3 ring circus.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My son would have told him all about how he was NOT getting a gift..LOL My son takes no crap..sometimes that is good, sometimes not. I would not have bought a gift. I would have went to his parents and let them know what he was doing and that it wasn't appreciated.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Op Here: I would say he is a bully! He bullied my son for a gift for 2 weeks! The teacher makes him sit by himself because he is naughty! 3 ring circus...I didn't think of that...now he knows my son will give him what he wants! Funny thing is my son said to me this morning "Mom, I'm so happy you took me to the store last night, now I can get this monkey off my back"! I can't wait to hear from my son later and find out what he said. Thanks ladies!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• What a rude little beast! I agree about going to tell his parents. I am sure they would be quite shocked to hear what their son is doing. The monkey off his back is hilarious! That just made my day! Hopefully it works, but i would still tell the parents.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• What a little asshole!! Ugh, I hate kids like that!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would not have gone out and gotten this child a present. I would have told my kid to tell him that we'd missed the party and wouldn't be getting him a present, and if the harrassment continued I would have gotten help from the school staff. By going out and buying this child these 'gifts' you are teaching him that bullying pays off. If you have not sent these items with your child already, don't do it and find a better way to deal with this situation.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I can't believe you bought that brat a present. I would have told my son to tell him he didn't "owe" him a present. If the boy persisted in annoying my son I would have contacted his parents.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but that's nuts. Your story is so irritating.
    What parent would really listen to this from their child and first of all not do anything about the so-called-party. You should have gotten right on that and called the kid's parents and said~Is your son having a party???? Okay,so he's NOT? and then have your ds tell the kid-I know you are not having a b-day party cause my Mom talked to yours~the end.
    And if the harrassing did not stop,call the parents again and teacher,school or bus driver and get involved in stopping this from happening to your ds! When you went out and bought the "gift" You taught your ds all sorts of wrong things,for one to accept being abused~since that is really what bullying is. Go stand up for your ds and teach him that what this kid is doing is wrong and that your ds will learn to stand up for himself. Seriously,good luck. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2010