First time solid food for a 7 month old

My daughter is a week away from being 7 months old. I just started her on 7 oz. containers of Gerber vegetables. She weighs 15lbs.9oz. I have been giving her 5 bottles a day until now. I wanted to know should I start feeding her the whole jar, or give her half the jar during feedings. I don't want to underfeed her where she is still hungry, but I don't want to overfeed her either. If you have any advice, please help. Thanks.

kasslucas24

Asked by kasslucas24 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry she will turn her head away when she no longer wants to feed. Follow her lead.
    Anonymous

• You can't really overfeed a baby unless you ignore "full" cues...turning head away, spitting food back out, playing with it towards the end of a meal, etc. If baby eats more happily, keep giving it. Every baby is different too so what one would take at seven months another wouldn't. Mine started solids at 5 mo. and by 7 she was eating two cubes (ice cubes...I made my own food) of fruit and two of veggie plus a little cereal at every meal (three meals a day). By 9 mo. she was off pureed foods entirely and onto finger foods exclusively (her choice, not mine). Mine has always been an exceptional eater though. I will tell you though to introduce as many foods as you can the first year (every 4 days, start a new food). The more you introduce the first year, the more variety your child will eat during the toddler years ...which are notorious for being plain. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my son is 8 months old, and he eats a container of fruit & rice cereal for breakfast, a vegtable for lunch, and a fruit & cereal for dinner and his bottles.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You don't need to feed her jar food at all. You can start with fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado. Just put a little in front of the baby and let her feed herself.

Babies don't need expensive jar food, puffs, cereal, snacks, ect. Real food is more nutritious and environmentally friendly. Letting baby feed herself allows her to control how much she eats and frees you from spoon feeding. I never spoon fed my two sons.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010