Dr. says cry it out...WIC says feed on demand???

My daughter is BF and only sleeps 2-3hrs. at a time through the night still at 6 months. I got a "lecture" from my Dr. saying that needs to stop, she doesn't need to eat through the night, WIC tells me feed her whenever she's hungry I'm confused???

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Asked by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CIO is NOT recommended by the AAP. I would switch pediatricians.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• There is a difference of opinions, even among moms, about this. You need to do some research and use common sense to figure out how you want to handle it. Feeding a baby at night allows them to fulfill their calories around the clock, if you stop feeding them as much at night, they will be hungrier during the day and fill their calorie requirements then. If you are feeding them at night, then they are full during the day so they don't eat as much, so they NEED to eat at night. It's a cycle. But that's my theory (based on a lot of reading and that I have 4 kids, all of whom were sleeping in excess of 8 hours/night by 2 months).

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Imo doc trumps WIC. But overall you gotta do what works for you and your daughter. Do what seems right to you. Is she on baby foods yet?
    Anonymous

• you're mommy. do research and do what feels right to you.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 1:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• but the AAP trumps Doc.

The CIO method has been linked to failure to thrive in some infants. ALL babies are different. Not every single one of them will start sleeping through the night at 6 months old.

But as missanc said, you really have to do the research yourself and decide what's best.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes I give her fruits and veggies, no rice cereal cause she gets sick from it
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I did cry it out w/ no issue on both kids but i had to get some damn sleep. I don't care what anyone thinks. My kids are fine and normal. I will add that I added rice cereal to the night feeding before they went to bed. Yes, doctor trumps WIC, obviously.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Follow your instincts.

Answer by older at 1:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i used cio with my first and intend to use it with my 2nd. IMO it's fine. But its up to you!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 1:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I'm not for the whole CIO thing, I feel awful. But the Dr. says to break it now because she has heard of parents having the cops called on them for letting the baby CIO and she doesn't want that to happen to me. She basically gave me a lecture about it.

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010