Greetings fellow cafe moms. I have a 6 week old son and would like to get him on a longer feeding schedule. At the moment he is drinking 4 ounces every 2 hours. The Doctor recomended that he i feed him every 3 hrs but its not working out that way. Any recomendations?

brooklyns1mama

Asked by brooklyns1mama at 1:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My only recommendation is to feed him on demand. Sorry i'm not much help.
    Have you ever heard of the 4th trimester?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Well I'd like to start of by congratulating you on your new bundle of joy! The schedule the doctor gives is a recommendation, but your baby knows how much he needs. What you may want to try to space it out a little more is to try adding another half ounce to an ounce to his feedings. He may be at a growth spurt. You can also try offering a pacifier. Sometimes they may not be hungry, but just want the comfort of suckling. If he's hungry, he'll start crying, but if he just wants to suck the pacifier will satisfy him. Good luck and you'll get it hun it just takes a little bit of time.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would recommend stretching it as you can, 5-10 minutes at a time until he's eating around every 3 hours. There really isn't a "clock" for feeding babies, but all of my kids ate at approximately 3 hour intervals and they were breastfed. You can distract him when he starts to get a little fussy by rocking, singing to him, talking to him, etc to stretch it an extra 5 minutes at a time.
    I don't know about formula amounts, but if he's drinking the entire 4 ounces every 2 hours, maybe he needs to up it by an ounce to compensate for the extra hour?

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• A baby wont drink unless they are hungray you cant change it. They know what they need. Your doctor only knows in theroy and not real life stuff. Theroy is great but dont work for every baby. My son did the same thing yours did I seen no problem with it as long as he was eating and stoping when he was full. If you try to force him to drink when he is done he might develop and eating disorder later on is what my doctor said. It gets eaiser they wont always want to feed every 2 hours.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Formula or breast? I'm assuming formula since you know how many ounces. If so, you should always make approximately an oz over what baby typically eats. If baby is eating 4 oz at a feeding, you should be making 5 oz bottles. Eventually, baby will take the full extra ounce and then you 'll start making 6 oz bottles, etc. This will ensure baby is being offered as much as he wants at each feeding. As for more space inbetween feedings...you just have to wait until baby is ready. Once they get some weight on them, they'll start spacing it. My youngest is currently eating every 2-3 hours (he is 9 weeks) during the day but is sleeping a solid 8-10 at night so I'm pleased with that. =) The truth is, my daughter always ate every 2-3 hours during the day until she started solids and even then, she was still eating every 2-3 hours...it was just alternating between formula and solid food. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Oh...on the off chance you're breast feeding...if baby wants to eat every two hours, let him. Feed on demand and don't do anything to try to make him go longer. Right now, you're establishing your milk supply and if baby is feeding frequently, it is most likely his instinct to feed frequently to get your milk supply up. It'll even out on its own in time. Go with the flow.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i'm breast feeding, pumping for the most part. thanks for your responses and advise. i'll pump an extra half ounce per feeding to see if he wants it. Thanks so much for your advise. : )
    brooklyns1mama

Answer by brooklyns1mama at 2:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Every 2 hours is normal for a 6 week old... it better for them to eat smaller amounts more frequently.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Don't listen to your doc; feed your hungry baby. 6 weeks is young; babies have different metabolisms and there's no one schedule that works for all of them. Feeding on demand, you can't go wrong.
    Anonymous

• i prefer to feed on demand. i had one preemie, and while he was in the hospital he was not eating much until one man fed him on demand one night. my son doubled his consumption! maybe some babies do fine and others don't. do what works best for you.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2010