What's a better way to disipline your kids without spanking them or yelling at them?

I don't enjoy it at all. I feel like a horrible mother.

panda515

Asked by panda515 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• You'd have to give an example of what you think is the bad behavior so we can give you advice accordingly.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Time outs and that all depends on what they ar doing. If you have them do time outs. Have them sit in a room that has no toys, tv. I do the kitchen. they sit on a stool. It has to be the same spot every time or you will confuse them. They sit there for a min for there age(so my 2 yr sits for 2 min and my 6yr sits for 6 min). They have to sit there for there full time. They can not get up. If they do put them back on and start the timer over. At first it may seem like that is all you are doing. but they will advently get it. Oh and when you sit them in time explain that they have to sit there for ther full "x" amount of mins and if they get up before there time is up. You will put them back on and start the timer over. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I take toys or their favorite thing in that time period cause their favorite thing changes pretty often even with my 2 and 3 year old. Time out for them means they have to go sit in thier bed until the feel better. For my older ones corner time is something they absolutely hate so they will do what they can not to be in the corner.
    Anonymous

• Neither. Try to address the issues before you get to the point of yelling. Walk over to the child and get down at their height and TALK to them.
    Anonymous