Measuring Small?

I am 34 Weeks pregnant and when I went to my doctor;s appointment on Friday, my midwife said that it seemed like my baby was measuring small. Until now, I have had comments on how long his legs are, and everyone assumed he will be long because his daddy is 6'7 and comes from a family of VERY tall men and women. My dad is 6'10.
Anyways, it was a bit of a shock, but the baby is also laying sideways right now, so she said she was having trouble measuring him. I wasn't worried until she scheduled another ultrasound for me, and told me that if there were any problems they would call her before I even left the U/S place.
What would a small baby mean in terms of health? His heart beat sounded great, and I have had a great pregnancy. This might be a stupid question, but my husband and I are starting to get worried. Has this happened to anyone else?

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 1:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's so hard for them to be able to tell how big or small the baby is by just measuring your stomach. They know this, and yet they continue to do it. I was accused of not eating enough because she thought my baby was small. Turns out she was a healthy 7 lbs 3 oz. Don't worry about it hun, as long as your baby's heart beat is normal and you feel him moving regularly, you are both fine. Congrats and good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i will add to what PP said that it is so hard for them to tell how big a baby is by measuring on an ultrasound. i can certainly understand why you are concerned, but try hard not to. i really think everything will be 100% ok :-)
    Anonymous

• Haha thanks. I had an ultrasound on Friday that actually showed him to be big. I definatly agree with you now on not being able to measure well from measuring your stomach. He's just really squished in there!
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 3:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2010