Due is less than 4 weeks. When is the best time during labor to ask for a epidural?

Due is less than 4 weeks. When is the best time during labor to ask for a epidural? Just want to make sure it wont wear off before baby arrives and don't want to get it too early.

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I asked for mine the last time perfectly. Took three tries to get it right. lol.

I asked for it about half an hour before I really felt like I wouldn't be able to take it anymore. You have to have an entire liter of fluid in before they can give it to you so if you wait until you absolutely need it, then you'll be waiting a bit. Also, if they are going to break your water and you're already in a lot of pain, get the epidural first. The contractions get stronger once the water is broken.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 2:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When you are dialated between 5 an 7 cm. An epidural prolongs your labor and some women dialate to fast for an epidural.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 2:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• With my first I waited until I could not handle it anymore. I was at 4cm. Once I got it I went from 4-10 in 30 minutes :)

BUT, if you wait too long, there is a point of no return...

I'd ask your doc.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• With my first two I went into labor on my own and had my epi at 6 cm and them bam 10 minutes later 10 cm. My third I was induced and my epi at 6 cm again and never got past 7cm and it was eventually turned off so I had to pretty much do it on my own when my OB let me try some trial pushes after 6 or so hours at 7 cm, 15 min later she was born. I say take it either when you really can't stand it anymore or when they tell you last call.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• is up to ypu. by the way epidurals dont always work. mine failed. my first labor i waited until i was 6 1.2 cm. . and they had to atke it out cuz it was making me feel worse(the cintactions got worse with the epidural)
    with my second., i got the epidural at 4cm . and it was great. with myf irst it took me 3 hrs to go from 6-10. with my seond it took me 20 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• make sure to get it before you get to 7cm cause if not then it won't work that is what happened to me I was 7cm and got one and it was like natural childbirth
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 2:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• with the first I begged when I hurt too much and was about to lose control....can't tell you what stage - I forgot. lol

but as soon as I was admitted to the L&D you have paperwork to do with a nurse. just let her know that you will want an epidural for when the time comes - your request will be sent to the oncall anesthesiologist.

just let them know going in that you want one.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER
    Anonymous

• anon is her choce!! not yours last time i check the baby is coming out of her vagina not yours!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Well, obviously "best" depends on the mom, the labor, and the situation. You might like to have a doula help you assess what seems better in the moment.

But for the baby, "best" will probably be never.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2010