How can I get my daughter ( turns 3 on the 3rd) Not to be so scared in the pool..

I tried Arm floaties , rings and I thought that mabe she was kinda scared cause the water is coming up to her mouth so I went and bought her a Dora Swimming Vest that keeps her higher out of the water and she still clings to me and cries if i let her go..I talk to her and tll her she is fine and she can trust mama wont let her go under??

Asked by emturner at 9:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get her in swimming lessons, she may not learn how to float just yet but she'll start feeling comfy around water, make sure you get in there as well, you are her security blanket when she's with the instructor. I started swimming lessons with my son when he was 6 months old, now he's 2 and when we go to the pool at the beginning he don't like it and cries but a couple of minutes later he just want to play and splash !

Answer by ali98 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Mine did this until she turned 4 and I got her swimming lessons. She is just scared because she can't swim. I would keep her in the kiddy pool until she gets swim lessons and has more self confidence. There is something about going to a class with kids your own age that makes them really get into it

Answer by sapient at 10:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My kids are 2 and 4. They are TOO comfortable in water. I see kids clinging to their parents all the time. My best suggestion is to keep get her in the pool at least once a day. Stay with her until she gradually gets more comfortable being on her own. Life vest is a good way to start. When she has her life vest on, play with her and every once in a while when she is giggling, let her go for a second and then, immediately catch her. The next time, let her go for 2 seconds and so forth.

• my daughter, who is 12 now, was afraid of the water when she was a baby until she was about 4. We put her in swim lessons at the YMCA -they were great with her! now she's a fish like the rest of the kids - good luck!

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 11:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2008