Do books or film that loosely protray religious beliefs in fictional ways drive anyone else crazy? (kinda a vent, more than question)

I was doing some research for my book about the historical accounts surrounding Sarah the daughter of Mary Madelene. Weather you believe that is the case or not is not the issue here. What is driving me crazy is that simply because this was a portion of a story in a fictional story means that it is now being seen as fiction itself by those that even themselves once believe... This seems to happen over and over. When the Craft came out people all over the place started seeing Wiccans and Pagans as dangerous (even more than usual).

The point is that when ever religious beliefs or practices are shown in a fictional light it gives those beliefs a bad representation and people seem to discredit them even more than before...

Does it drive anyone else crazy? Or am I it??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't watch those kinds of movies or read those kinds of books but it drives me nuts every time I drive by a church during Christmas time and see the nativity scene.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• depends on the movie and I avoid reading certain books.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes and no. No because I know it's fiction, but yes because others will see it and think that it's an accurate portrayal of a belief and hold to that even when it is explained and proven to be false and the little bit that is truth to be highly exaggerated for ratings.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes I dislike it, and no, you are not the only one.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Sort of. I personally know it's fiction, and so it doesn't bother me. However, there are a lot of stupid people out there that believe anything and everything. Those are the people I worry about because they are easily influenced by what the see and hear. An inaccurate portrayal of any religion or belief can mean bad news when it is absorbed by those people.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes, it's annoying at times because it plays to stereotypes. I also think it's a shortcut to establishing character in many instances, and that's just lazy writing/directing rather than taking time to develop character in some more thoughtful way. I actually think Christians and Muslims get the worst portrayals in film most of the time... the 'crazy Christian' is a stock character in a lot of movies, and being Muslim in most films is a shortcut to say "Look- here's the bad guy!" I actually cant' think of a whole lot of Buddhists in movies... we seem to get overlooked, not that I'm complaining! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It gets annoying but it doesnt really bug me because I realize what angle they are coming from and so I just let it go.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• its pretty annoying, i personally know its fiction so it doesn't bother me but some people are just stupid..being a satanist i have to deal with what fiction says all the time.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes, because it just promotes ignorance. People watch FICTIONAL movies then assume they know about the religion.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• NO, not really.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 6:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010