how early can you see autism signs!?

my 1 y/o flaps her arms a lot ... and will lean against the couch backwards and sit , than stand , than sit than stand ...

im scared! help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not til around 3-4. Relax.

Anonymous

• We started noticed with my friends son before he even turned 1. He is now 7 and is infact autistic and non-verbal.
    Anonymous

• *noticing
    Anonymous

• SHe's just being a silly baby. Stop worrying and enjoy her while she is young.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Our son showed signs at 15 months, and at 18 months, at his check-up, his pedi even noticed it and told us where to get him tested. By age 2, he was officially diagnosed. Don't listen to people who tell you when a child shows signs of anything. Follow YOUR gut, and talk to the doctor. It's different for every person.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If you're worried, tell your doctor. My son isn't talking yet, and he's almost 17 months. My doctor referred him to the Early Intervention program. We had one person come in just to ask questions and she ruled out autism right away, just because of the eye contact. After about an hour, she said he definitely was fine, just a little delayed. It was nice to hear that from a professional.

Most likely she's just being a baby, but if you're worried, get it checked out. The earlier Autism is detected, the better!
    Anonymous

• I think autism signs start showing by 18 months, possibly even before, especially if they are being looked for. Mention it to the doctor ASAP and if you keep seeing troubling behavior don't let it go- advocate for your child. The earlier there is intervention the better, so if your child is on the autism spectrum (which can mean many things/levels of the problem) the earlier you start working with your child the better. Best of luck- hopefully it is just silly baby behavior but best to look into it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 15-18 months. If you have any concerns, call early intervention in your area and get an evaluation. Most pediatricians will wave it off this early, but mom's intuition is better than any dr! Insist on it - the earlier you can find out, the better off your child will be.

Answer by missanc at 3:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I noticed signs in my son at around 15 months. He wasn't diagnosed until he was 3 years old. He's 11 now, and doing very well! We have been working with him daily for the last 8 1/2 years and have experienced alot of "blood, sweat and tears" to get where he is!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I've known extreme autism to get diagnosed at 6 months.... high functioning we've seen the signs at 1 year and then full diagnosis at 2.5 years old. Varies. Depending on the state you live in (we're in CA) you want to have the diagnosis as early as possible so you can get your state/federal govt. services. There are certain services at age 2, some at age 3 and then after 3, it's the school district. The 2.5 year old we know got diagnosed after 2 so lost a certain service. But will get the state/fed services offered b4 3 plus the school district services.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2010