Babies and Dairy...

I was under the impression that we don't introduce milk to babies until they reach one year. Why is it then that many mothers are feeding their babies cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products? Is this okay for the little ones? I am honestly curious because I have a baby, and I have purposefully not given him any of these items yet. I wonder if I am just taking the dairy to the extreme. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My babies doctor was telling me to feed my son yogurt at 5 months old, she was telling me that yogurt didn't count for dairy because of the enzymes in it that break down the dairy on its own...My son is 10 months old now and he eats cheese, like in mac and cheese and stuff like that...I have never given him actual milk yet but I really don't think it would hurt him...and he has never had any reaction to the yogurt or cheese....
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• imo, dairy is no good for humans period. humans are the only animals to consume milk and milk products from another species, and beyond the stage of infancy. dairy is the #1 food intolerant/ allergen. it is not natural, so do we wonder why?
    congrats on your baby!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Dairy can be an allergy trigger, so it is prudent to avoid it... but so can wheat and soy and many other foods (And dairy is in all dairy based formula anyway, so many babies are already getting exposed at a very young age).

The biggest thing is to not replace human milk (or formula) with cows milk until the child is eating a balanced diet of solid foods (including foods high in iron). Dairy actually leeches iron from your bowels, so making the switch before the child can get plenty of iron from other sources can cause anemia.

Cheese and yogurt are also easier to digest and cause less reactions than cows milk because the proteins are broken down from the aging and culturing process.

My first got no dairy until close to age 2 because he was allergic... but my new baby shows no such symptoms, so he does get smalls amounts here and there (he's 10 mo).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• up here its 9months that babies are 'allowed' to be introduced to dairy products.

mine were dairy sensitive so it wasn't until past their first birthdays that they had much.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Milk is the strongest form of dairy, that is why it is viable to introduce yogurt & cheese first.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Humans don't have to eat cow's milk at all.

Babies shouldn't drink cow's milk before 12 mo. The recommendation used to be to wait until around 9 mo for yogurt, cheese, and foods with some milk in them but not things like pudding or ice cream that are mainly unprocessed milk.

There was a big study done looking at lots of studies about infant nutrition and there were changes in recommendations. Of course exclusive breastfeeding for 6 mo remained the same and no drinking cows milk for 12 mo remained the same. After 6 mo babies can eat just about anything and there doesn't need to be a week between foods. Of course foods should be nutritious and not be a choking hazard.

The AAP recommends only small amounts of juice a day 4-6 ounces. You can go on their website and read all the reasons they feel juice is evil. The main reason is childhood obesity. Older babies and toddlers are supposed to drink water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My dr and everything I read said I could introduce yogurt and cottage cheese around 6 months and we started cheese closely after. Check with your pediatrician, but ours okay'ed other dairy products, just not milk.

Answer by missanc at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food. We choose to wait until our daughter turned one to introduce it. Do your own research, and make your own decision; don't blindly follow a doctor, who may not know very much about nutrition

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010