For parents who tried/use the diet that is supposed to help kids with ADHD (or at least exhibit what are considered symtoms of it..)

Once you made the change in diet did you see a change? How long did it take? I'm considering giving this a shot and would love any information out there...thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My good friend does it. The change took about 3 weeks to see a marked difference and then 12 weeks for a real sustained "recovery." This was with an older teen boy. He has since stuck with the diet into adulthood.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• we went to clean eating - and my middle ADHD dd had an almost instantaneous change in her moods, focus, energy - it was amazing.

she had a couple of christmas treats over the holidays and went absolutely nuts - she was so out of control. but changed back to clean eating and she's back to the new normal.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I haven't tried the whole diet yet, but, I can assure you that my child CANNOT have Red dye #40 Lake. WOW!!! When he has it, there is a marked difference than when he doesn't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I keep hearing about red dye 40- what kinds of food is it in?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We were already eating a "clean diet" no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help. www.feingold.org has great info.

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• @Stepmom929: His worst food is the powdered Minute Maid Pink Lemonade. He had it a few times before I realized it was the culprit for his INSANE behavior. I noticed it happened right after drinking it...then i set out to figure out what exactly was in it that caused it. I figured out that when he ate foods with the dye, that he acted Super Crazy.

It is in so much food that I can't even begin to list. Just read all ingrediant lists and try to avoid any that contain it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2010