My son seems to have "forgotten" how to sleep!

My 2 1/2 year old baby used to sleep wonderfully. He would lay down in his bed between 1 and 2 and take a two hour nap then he would go to bed at 9. Now it is a fight to get him to take a nap... and bed time takes three hours for him to fall asleep. When he finally does fall asleep he wakes up two to three times and climbs into my bed. Help!

TDausman

Asked by TDausman at 2:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could be he's outgrowing his nap. That could cause both problems. My son will be 3 in April and we've hit that (much to my dismay). The last week or so he won't sleep at nap time. Today he finally went to sleep at 2;15 (I could tell he needed it today). If he sleeps past 3, we won't be able to get him down at night. If he can get through the day without a nap and get down at a reasonable hour, skip the nap. I've also found with my son that if he struggles to get to sleep, he's far more likely to wake up at night (he normally doesn't wake up).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Oh my gosh, can we bond over this? You just described my daughter. She was such a beautiful sleeper - my only complaint was that she woke up a little early for my taste (in the sixes), but bedtime and nap time there was never a murmur! Now it's this epic battle any time any sleep is involved. I'm not requiring that she sleep for nap, but I do make her have quiet time... she's resisting it all. On her school days she doesn't nap ever, and even on those days, she fights bedtime like crazy. We've been facing this for almost a month now, and we're really loosing it. For her, there are new fears and anxieties getting involved (she all the sudden doesn't want the lights out, wants us in the room...) but some of it, we can just tell, is that she's pushing the limits. We have tried some things that seem to work for one night, not the next, and I feel like she can just tell we're scrambling... Is your son night waking, too?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• (cont'd) Sorry I just reread-- I had forgotten the last part you said about him waking and climbing into bed. We haven't been letting our daughter get in bed with us (she has a younger sister and we just don't want to start something that will end up with 4 in a too-small bed)... We do a lot of sitting on the couch in her room until she falls asleep (in the middle of the night); when it's not the middle of the night, we promise to sit on the stairs (right outside her door) on the condition that she doesn't talk to us (we actually do sit there but not for the whole night, obviously)... It's a mess right now. We have a reward system now -- she has a new charm bracelet and she gets a new charm anytime she has a no-fuss bedtime and now drama in the night (if she wakes and needs us but goes right back to sleep that counts as a good night); she's only gotten two, but one was this morning. PM me if you want to compare strategies...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Well what my son is doing doesn't sound nearly as hard.. he's 27 months old. he's always fought sleep for us.. since the day he was born. he was in the crib til he was 2 and literally he cried himself to sleep everynight for up to an hour til he was 20 months old, then reasoning helped a little bit.. he is in a toddler bed now, he was very sick during that transition and was throwing up sick for 12 hours straight.. ever since then he will not sleep all night.. we put him to bed at 8 and he's in his room ( in his bed though so I am happy for that ) talking or arranging things and it will take over an hour and multiple trips of me telling him to go to bed before he does,. then around2 and or 4 am he wakes.. sometimes screaming, sometimes yelling for me.. sometimes I end up having to sleep with him because he wont' calm down, its crazy.. not as bad as it sounds for you guys but I miss my angel sleeping through the night
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010