HeLP !!!!! Potty training and bottle

My 2yr old son is still taking a bottle at night and I absolutly cannot get him to stop . I have tried to but he will cry for hours and hours . We need to sleep eventually . I want to start potty training but I know he needs to stop the bottle first . Please help !!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are going to have to probably deal with a few nights of screaming. Trust me.........you will live threw it. I dont mean to sound harsh lol. It felt like it took forever to get my oldest off the night bottle. Inreality it was only a few nights. With my next child the bottle wasnt even associated with the crib ever again.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Take it away and replace it with something else like a favorite blanket or stuffed animal. Maybe even take him out to let him pick something that he wants to take to bed instead of the bottle. You just have to put your foot down. You are teaching him that he gets his way because eventually, you will give in. What's a couple of sleepless nights compared to having a 3 &4 year old having a bottle, tooth decay and struggling that much longer to potty train because he knows you aren't consistent?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would take his bottle to a store and let him pick out a toy or something. Then have him throw out the bottle, or you can. Just show him, it's bye bye bottle. Explain a little bit about why its time to say bye-bye. Then at night, give him his toy and if he asks for his bottle just say it went bye bye, remember? (Talk to him for a minute) Then let him cry it out, if he needs to. He's obviously attached to his bottle, so I wouldn't let him cry alone. Maybe for a minute or two, and then go in there and reassure him...etc. Good Luck!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2010