car seats

My youngest son is 20 pounds and i am not sure if he is ready for the car seat that faces forward. I heard that the weight was 20 but then someone told me that they changed it to 35 pounds. My oldest is 30 pounds so is he ready for the booster seat. I am not sure of the weight limit for the booster seat. If anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it. thank you.

olafsonmama

Asked by olafsonmama at 2:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They are recommending to keep your child rear facing for as long as possible! They are thinking of changing the 20lb, 1 year law. I'm not sure if that has happened or not. My son is 17 months and 21 lbs and is still rear facing. It's a pain but I feel as if he's safer!
    Anonymous

• Legally it is 1 year AND 20lbs, but it is much safer to keep them rear facing for as long as your convertible seat will allow. My daughter is 18 months and 28lbs and she is still rear facing and we won't be turning her until at least her 2nd birthday.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 1year and 20 pounds is the rear facing requirements.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The law is 20lb and 1 yr. Man if they change it to 35 lbs. My 6 yr old is not going to be happy. We would not be able to go anywere to far. Her legs would be so cramp up.
    Anonymous

• Anon---your daughter would obviously be too tall for the rf requirements, so I don't think you need to worry! ;)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• you really should think about erf. my dd erf until she was 33 mts. and she is 31lbs, an switching her back to erf. as for the booster. they have to be 40 lbs to be in a boostewr. but i would also consuder e xtended harnessing. am going to buy my kids atht have a 5 point harness till they are 65 lbs!! extended rear facing is alot safer. you should join the carsafety gropu.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i turned my son front facing at about 14 months old, and he will be 2 in march and only weighs 26lbs now. i got to get the 3 in one car seat for him cause he is in between the one he is in now and the high back booster. i would say just what ever feels comfortable to you.
    ems9909

Answer by ems9909 at 5:57 AM on Jan. 27, 2010