For Moms with babies 0-5 months. When your baby cries, do you pick them up immediately? If not how long do you let them cry before you get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds is now 11 mts but at that time i will pick him up if he cried. he is 11 mts now so i let him cry a lil but at that age no
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Unless I have something else in my hands... I have two kids and I can't very well drop one to pick up the other. But I don't make my baby wait just to toughen her up... I respond to her as quickly as I can. You can't spoil a baby this young... I also wear her as much as I can.
    Anonymous

• Try to pick the baby up before they cry. I wore my babies in a sling a lot and my babies napped on me and slept with me. With in-arms-parenting there aren't many times the baby is by itself to start crying and need picked up.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i try my hardest to pick him up before he cries (when he pouts out that bottom lip, so cute! haha) but if i've got my hands full (such as bringing in groceries) i try as fast as i can.

at night, if he wakes in the middle of the night i let him cry 5-8 minutes because most of the time he just got startled awake by a noise and goes back to sleep within a few minutes.

oh i forgot, he's 3 months :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 3:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I did, but my babies "spoiled". thats what most of my friends would say.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with spoiled!!!! Just if they're spoiled rotten is another story! LOL
    Anonymous

• You can't spoil a baby, and babies cry to let you know they need something. You have to run through all the things that could be causing it hungry, dirty diaper, clothes on wrong, boogers, scared of something, or just needs cuddling.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 3:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My LO is now 10 months, but up till very recently I did not let her cry for more time than necessary. In other words, if I was cooking dinner or cleaning something gross and had to wash my hands before handling her, I might give her 5 minutes now, if I'm in the middle of something. I don't believe they cry for nothing. It is their only way of communicating that they need something, and even if they only need to be held, I believe that is a valid need as well.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 0-5 months... pretty much immediately.. after 5 months they start getting smart, so it would depend upon the urgency of the cry...
    Anonymous

• Unless I am doing something like peeing or throwing in a load of laundry I pick her up immediately if she cries.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010