Lumpectomy and pregnancy

In November I had a fibroadenoma removed from my left breast. I know I got pregnant before the incision was fully healed. In fact, I'm not sure its fully healed now since it is still very hard and there is a small piece of stitch peeking out of the end of the scar. I know the outside is healed, I'm just not sure that the inside is.
I am wondering; will this effect breastfeeding? The scar is about half an inch away from my nipple and as my areola get darker - so does the scar!
If anyone out there has had a similar experience could you please let me know if you had any trouble breastfeeding afterwards?

Nixshix

Asked by Nixshix at 3:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Health

• Fist of all, you should always talk to your doctor about things like this, especially if you are pregnant.

Now to answer your question, I had a lumpectomy shortly after my daughter was born. I had no problems with breast feeding. The only thing for me was that I nursed more on the other side and pumped on the side with the surgery. It hurt for awhile because my breast was so tender, but now, no problems what so ever. As for the stitch, pull it out. It just did not dissolve completely. By the time the baby is born, you should have no problems. Good luck!
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2010