Is it better to eat before or after exercising?

I exercise 2 times sometimes 3 times a week. Is it better to eat before or after?

Asked by lesliegail22 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Well it depends on the last time you ate and whether you're hungry. I generally work out at noonish. So I eat breakfast and then have a snack around 11:00 am or so. I work out and shower and then get my lunch after that. If you're talking about working out first thing in the morning it probably wouldn't hurt to have something small like a banana or glass of milk first.

Don't eat a full meal before you work out, but don't work out on an empty stomach either. You will have a much better, more effective work out if you are properly fueled.

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I had a free session with a personal trainer, and she told me to eat before going to the gym.

Answer by mama2br00ke at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i always eat after. ...maybe that's a yoga habit but i prefer it.

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• its kind of good to eat before & after. like eat breakfast, then go to the gym, and eat lunch or dinner not too long after that because then you burn off breakfast & after you work out, your metabolism is going so you will burn off lunch or dinner. its especially good to eat protein because protein builds lean muscle which burns fat.

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I eat lunch or breakfast before and a small snack like berries or an apple with a low fat string cheese after my work out. It has really worked for me and has helped kick my metabolism into gear.

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I always have to eat a light meal about 45 minutes before working out. I do pretty intense sessions and if I don't eat prior, I will run out of steam halfway through. Seriously, I end up shaky and weak and have to stop working out and get a snack. After a few times, I just learned the lesson and began eating beforehand. Listen to your body, it will tell you what to do.

Answer by vicesix at 7:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Unless I am running long,I wont have anything(I do better that way)I eat something after my runs however.Sometimes I may have a piece of fruit before hand if its going to be a long run.

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Both before and after. A good carbohydrate/protein mixture works best for me before a strenuous workout (a handful of nuts and dried fruit,usually) and maybe a lighter mix after (Greek yogurt w/berries) to keep me from passing out,lol.

Answer by Lexylex at 5:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You dont want to go on a completely empty stomach but you definatly want to eat AFTER, your muscles are rebuilding and you want to refuel them with protein which is a natural tissue builder. So a great, after the gym meal would be... a large salad with veggies, steamed broccoli and your protein, chicken breast or fish!!

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2010