Morocco???

has anyone ever been? I'm about to visit and would love to learn more- any tips that you think would be helpful, what should I see, eat and safety tips. What should I wear?
Thanks much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Travel

• I've been to Marrakech and it was incredible. Rkoloms have you been? I'm not sure where you're getting that info but it's totally inaccurate. You absolutely do NOT need to cover up or wear a scarf. Morocco is right across from Portugal and gets a LOT of tourism from Europe. It's only a short ferry ride away so they're very accustomed to Europeans/Americans. Do you know any French or Spanish? Because it will help you a lot. Make sure you visit Marrakech (the old city part which surrounded by a wall). You HAVE to go see the Jmaa El Fnaa. It's a huge open air market that is gorgeous, with food, textiles, everything. Don't touch the monkeys though. They carry disease. Bring something for diarrhea and don't drink the water or use the ice. If you want to PM me I'd be happy to get into particulars. It was my favorite trip ever and the people were amazing and so friendly. Have fun!!!
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• check the travel channel on line
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Keep covered to your elbows and knees (get a couple of long, cotton knit skirts); keep a scarf around to cover your head.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If you do go to the old city, visit the Cafe du France and go to the roof. It's an open air cae that overlooks the market and at sunset it is GORGEOUS. Bring plenty of film/memory cards. The food at the El Fnaa is GOOD. Take a risk and eat there. The kabobs and chicken tangine are really really good. They also have amazing pastries since they were occupied by the French so there's a cultural overlap there. Also visit Majorelle Gardens which is outside the city walls but only a short taxi drive away (maybe 10 min). Well worth the trip. Oh, and the Royal Palace. Again, bring lots of film! You'll be surprised that they have cats there like we have pigeons here. And they're treated about the same! LOL

Man, I'm all kinds of jealous now. I've always wanted to go back...
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I am soooo jealous. I've been to Tangier for part of a day and it has never been enough. I wouldn't worry so much about head coverings, but when I travel anywhere outside of the us I don't wear shorts in public - at a hotel or the beach, fine. In general it will peg you as an American tourist. I always carry a loose button down shirt and light cotton skirt that can be easily thrown on over a shirt and capris if you need to be covered. You can always throw a light scarf in just in case, but it really isn't necessary.

Moroccan food is one of our faves. A dear friend and her DH are Moroccan and we love eating at their house. Tagines, pastries and b'stella (pastilla) are just awesome!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Thanks so much! I leave this Monday and the clothing thing was a big concern of mine. I didn't want to offend anyone by wearing a head dress incorrectly. I'm staying for 10 days, partly in Casablanca then in Rabat I was thinking of going to Spain or to the Canary Islands for a day trip has anyone gone? Marrakech is on the list, so thank you very MUCH Deadhead for the tips! Another thing, in my research, I hear that the men can give a lot of cat calls when a women is by herself. Has anyone experience this as my DH will be working most of the time.*** But it still wont stop me from going;)****
    Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2010