Explain cloth diapering to me!

Ok, so I am considering cloth diapering for my second child. If someone wouldn't mind, could you please tell me what a day to day with cloth diapering is like? I don't know if it's feasible because we don't have a washer in my apartment (it's down in the basement), but it's definitely something I want to consider. Thanks!

bashishot

Asked by bashishot at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• theres those and the ones where you put a liner in. my mom had cloth diapers for me. very enviromentally friendly. my mom would soak them in a bucket of bleach and then wash them.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 4:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• www.diaperhyena.com

www.borntolove.com

www.diaperpin.com

are some fantastic sites with lots of great info! I cloth diapered all three of my girls from birth (even in the hospital) to potty training.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It's great if diaper service is available in your town and if you can afford it. If you have to pay to do laundry it may be cheaper.

There are lots of cloth diapering moms on the discussion boards at Mothering Magazine www.mothering.com

I used cloth diapers with my 3 sons. I made sewed cloth diapers shaped like disposable and used flushable liners. When you breastfeed most of the poop will flush away with the liner. I used diaper clips instead of pins. I don't know if they are still available. Over the diapers I used brightly colored nylon pants that lasted forever. They were called Rubber Duckies. I still have some that made it through my 3 sons and 1 grandson.

There are lots of diapering systems available and now there are the nice pails. I washed with vinegar and no bleach and used Seventh Generation products.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Check out diaperswappers.com (you will have to register for a username and stuff) I got most of my supplies and lots of great info from the ladies over there. It's not really much more complicated than sposies, depending on what kind of diapers you decide to buy.
    Some other sites to check out are greenmountaindiapers.com and jilliansdrawers.com They both offer started kits and how-to booklets for anyone new to cloth. My only regret with cloth diapers was that I didn't start sooner. We saved a lot of money and landfill space, and it only added a load or 2 of laundry a week.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We lived on the third floor of a three story walkup; laundry room in the basement!

We had a bucket with half vinegar and half water; we would throw the diapers in and sometimes sprinkle baking soda on top.

My beloved would wash diapers every few days.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• There are a few different ways to cloth diaper. I'd recommend reading up on several of them and deciding which method might work best for you. We use fleece covers and prefold diapers. It is a little more complicated at diaper change time than all-in-ones, but makes a lot less laundry. I use the same cover through a couple diaper changes unless baby soaks through or has a poop spill, and I handwash the covers in the sink as needed and air dry them. This is a couple times a day. We wash a load of diapers every 2 - 3 days using normal detergent with no fabric softener. I think this would be feasible with a washer/dryer in the basement, although I agree with a PP that a diaper service may be easier and less expensive if you are using a pay-per-use washer and dryer. I would look into pricing those, and compare with the costs of buying diapers and doing the extra laundry each week.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 6:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Also we made our own diapers out of bargain basement flannel and recycled receiving blankets, so we've only had to buy the covers. It has saved us tons of $$ over disposables. We do use disposables when we are out. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 6:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010