How to tell her i DONT want to babysit her kid anymore?

I been watching this girls kid since August. She paid me $20 a day. She hasn't paid me since BEFORE thanksgiving. And this baby cries alllllllll day. Wants to be held 24/7. I have an 18 month old and a 5 year old also and the too crave attention!!! I didnt mind watching him when she was paying me but im watching her kid for free she doesnt bring diapers becuase our kids are in the same size diaper. She doesnt change or feed her kid before bringing him and i found out she goes home and relaxes before she come and get him. This is been going on far to long and im sickk of it but I dont know how to tell her i quit! I'm a very kind hearted shy quiet person and it hard for me LOL sad I know ...BUT my goodness i can only take so much!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Next time she comes to drop off or pick up tell her that you need to talk to her, and then tell her flat out that you have had it with her 'freeloading'. Let her know that she owes you $$$ and you expect to be paid in full by XX day or you will be forced to take her to court. Then tell her that future babysitting will be either paid on time, or paid in advance. I would also tell her that you expect the child to arrive clean and fed, AND with either a container of diapers or a daily supply of diapers- that you will not be providing diapers anymore. I would also tell her that you expect the child to be picked up on time (if she goes home and relaxes then you may want to tell her an earlier time to pick up her child). I would also make sure to put everything in writing and get her to sign it.
    As for the money, if she does not pay tell her you will be taking her to court!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I can't believe you would let it go on this far. I would tell her that she needs to catch up on payment before she drops the child off tomorrow. I babysit from home and would not let a balance exceed one week, let alone months.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Tell her you feel you have taken on too much with her child, and you feel it is effecting your ability to aqequately care for your own children's needs. Tell her you can do it for two more weeks, but she needs to start looking for another sitter now. If you have any suggestions of people who might sit for her give her their number. Since she has proven she will take advantage of you, be sure you make yourself unavailable for sitting after two weeks - you might even consider leaving the house before the time she normally shows up on the day after two weeks is up just in case she shows up expecting to drop her baby off again. If she aks you about it just say you assumed she would be getting a new sitter by that day since you had given her notice.
    Anonymous

• I think one good way to scare her off it remind her that she owes you money, and to bring payment in full the next time she drops the child off. (that would be a good way to guarantee to never see her again).
    Anonymous

• Tell her you can't afford to take care of her kid anymore, and you won't be able to until she pays you. If you won't insist for the back payment she owes you, I would at least tell her she has to pay in advance from now on. Put it in writing if you don't feel comfortable saying it to her.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You have to do it asap! I mean seriously,it's not good for you or the baby.
    You might end up being resentful toward the baby and that is just wrong. You should just ell her that your kids are needing more of your attention and that you have decided that you won't be offering your child care services any longer. Also that you are going to need payment in full for the last~however long it's been that she has not paid you.
    I REALLY hope that you have a contract or something on paper. If not she may try to stiff you. You may be able to take her to small claims if she does not but don't say anything about that right away. GL
    Anonymous

• Do you have any kind of contract in place? If you do, give her another copy and highlight any part about payment expectations. Make sure you have the dates written down for all the days you have watched her child and not gotten paid.
    Use excel or word or something and make her an invoice. Let her know that she has to have her balance paid in full by a certain date. Then let her know that it is too much of a burden for you to provide diapers for her child too.
    If you don't already have a written contract, make one up. If she doesn't like the new terms, she can find a new sitter.
    I don't like confrontation either, but don't let yourself be taken advantage of any further. Would you continue to go to work each day at an office or factory and provide all your own tools and supplies and then not get paid? Childcare shouldn't be any different.
    Anonymous

• I think I would make her an invoice for what she owes you and tell her she has two weeks to find someone else to watch her baby. I don't think I'd give her the option of continuing even if she does offer to pay in advance because I expect she will quickly fall back into the same habits. If you take on long term sitting jobs in th future you need to have a written contract signed by the parent. The contract can be pretty simple outlining what the parent is responsible for bringing, what you are responsible for providing, drop off times, pick up times, payment amounts and due dates, sick child policies, etc. I think it's a lot easier to bring it up when something goes wrong if you got in writing before there was a problem. GL!
    Anonymous

• She might or might not realize it but you should bring it to her attention that you have not been paid for babysitting.

Make sure you talk civil with her or she just might get mad and won't pay you at all, talk to her soon bc it is just adding more on her daycare cost. Tell her you will work with her in payments if she cannot pay you all at once. But you know her better than we and if you feel like you are being taken advantage of let her go. But get your money that is owed to you first...lol then throw her to the curb. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Holy crap, it wouldn't be hard for me to tell her I'm not babysitting for her anymore. Or at least to set up some guidelines. Are you willing to continue if she changes? If so, set some boundaries "From now on, in the morning when you drop your LO off I'd like him to be changed and fed. I want to be paid weekly and if you'd like to bring your own diapers we can keep it at $20 per day. If you'd like me to supply the diapers that will be an extra $15 a week".

If you're not interested in babysitting anymore simply tell her "I've decided I don't want to babysit anymore. I'll give you two weeks to find another sitter. You currently owe me x amount of dollars and I'd like to be paid in full by next week".
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 5:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2010