weaning baby onto sippy-cup

i am going to start my son on a sippy cup at 6 months. i am wondering how to go about doing that though. i will give him his formula in a bottle throughout the day and before bed because it calms him down, but will he eventually be taking formula in the cup every time? i dunno how this works lol

mrsjedwards

Asked by mrsjedwards at 4:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I introduced a sippy to my kids around 6 months with just water. As he learned to use it, I started putting breastmilk, formula, and then whole milk in it. I changed out one feeding/day from breast to sippy cup as I was weaning.

Answer by missanc at 4:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It depends on how your baby reacts to it. His motor skills might not be good enough yet to solely do it. Most parents dont start until 9 months and have totally weaned by 12 months.
    Anonymous

• With my son, I put nothing but formula in the bottle. Everything else went in a sippy cup. I didn't worry about getting rid of the bottle until a year when we transitioned to milk, which also went in a sippy. If you want to put formula in the sippy and get rid of the bottle before a year, then go for it; just put the formula in the sippy instead of the bottle whenever you don't want him to have the bottle.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• he does pretty good with holding onto cups and things, he tries to steal my cans and cups all the time and knows what to do with them *NO i dont let him have any lol* but i think he will do fine :) im excited! i wont take the bottle away completely for a few months i suppose, ugh who knows? this baby stuff is hard!
    mrsjedwards

Answer by mrsjedwards at 4:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i just took the bottles away and went straight to sippy cups. I think I waited till right before 12 months though. i am not sure. i used the NUK sippy cups with the soft tops. She took right to them and didn't have any trouble. I dont think she would have done well if I had tried to give her a bottle one feeding and a sippy cup the next.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• This is what I did with my DS and am starting with my DD. I start by giving them very watered down juice, just so it has a bit of flavor. I give it to them after they eat there solid food. After they get the hang of it I replace one of the nap bottles with a cup wait a couple weeks then do the other nap. I had my DS on a sippy all day but gave him one at night until 9 mo. The only reason I stopped giving him his night bottle is because he started taking less and less around 8 mo then one night about a week after he turned 9 mo old he took 1 oz and passed out and stayed asleep so we decided 1 oz wasnt enough to give him a bottle at night so we took them all and threw them away. He is 2 now and hasnt had a bottle since that night.
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 5:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We introduced a sippy cup with water at around 8 or 9 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Go ahead and introduce the sippy cup at 6 months for non-formula drinks (water, juice). Keep putting the formula in the bottle until 12 months, then you can drop the bottle and start putting whole milk into the sippy. For proper jaw development ideally baby will be breastfeeding for a MINUMUM of 12 months. If you are not breastfeeding then continue baby on what is most like the breast, in this case the bottle, until 12 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Sippy cups - training cups that come with a snap-on lid and hard spout -- and/or thumb sucking can cause difficulty with articulation and clarity of speech in some children, says Sandra Holtzman, MS, a speech pathologist and certified orofacial myologist in Coconut Creek, Fla.
    "If a child goes from the breast or the bottle to a sippy cup, they tend to drink it as if it were a bottle. They lie back or tip their neck in the usual manner, so it's almost like drinking a bottle," she says. "They have a hard object or spout with various shapes depending on the type of cup, and their bodies are tipped back. This hard object or spout misplaces the tongue and pushes the teeth out as the thumb can."
    "A sippy cup can serve a function, which is to transition off of the bottle, but it should only be used for a brief time," she says. "It can be used for approximately a month and should never be used as a substitute for a bottle.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010