Does anyone know how to cook a deer meat?

a friend us some deer meat and i wanted to know on how to cook . what would be the good recipe for it.

jjfaraon

Asked by jjfaraon at 4:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• well what did she give you?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• this sounds weird but i never open the bag. so i don't know what part of the meat they gave me, have you cook deer meat before?
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 4:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my dad gave me deer sausage before...i just cooked it the same as i wouldve regular sausage
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i would maybe try a crock pot though because the meat is usually a little rougher
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• http://www.venison-meat.com/html/recipes.html

Here's a website with some recipes.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If its just a side of deer meat. Get some Bacon and some Allegro marinade. Cut the meat in cubes and soak it over night in the marinade. Then wrap each piece in a piece of bacon and use a tooth pick to keep secure. Then just grill them..it is SOOOO good...
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I like it as jerky. I really love home made jerky.

It's great in a pot roast/ crock pot. Slow cooking it loosens the meat up. It's not very fatty and the muscle tissue is tighter than beef bc deer actually run around. Cook it with a little wine or beer bc the alcohol will help soften the tissue.

You can also fillet it thin and grill it like steak. I season it with garlic and rosemary.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I always slice it to about 1/2 in think and fry it in a pan with crisco and an onion sliced on top and mushrooms.
    TDausman

Answer by TDausman at 5:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It is very lean. do not over cook it.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I've always just prepared whatever cut of venison that I had in the same way I would prepare the same cut of beef and it has always worked out fine. Just be careful not to overcook the venison b/c it's much more lean than beef - think of it like buffalo, which is also very lean and will dry out quick if overcooked.
    Anonymous