Aren't Sicilians Italian?

Ok I may just be really ignorant about this but educate me! I was on another message board and the topic was a comment made by an Italian girl telling another person they "didn't even look Italian" supposedly because this other person didn't have dark hair, skin and eyes. So one person said the reason some Italians are darker is because they are mixed with other races and that "pure" Italians actually are lighter skinned with light hair and features and they referenced the movie "True Romance" (which I haven't seen so I couldn't tell you a thing about it) Then someone else countered that argument with "For those of you talking about True Romance, Hopper was talking about Sicilians. Not Italians" Yes I am bored today!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sicily is the island off the tip of Italy...They are Sicilians and the people in Italy are Italians.

Kind of like people from Puerto Rico are Puerto Rican and not Mexican....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• ohhh ok I always thought Sicily was a part of Italy. Something new everyday! I do know the difference between a Puerto Rican and a Mexican though , so at least I know I'm not a lost cause!
    Anonymous

• Hahaha...no problem.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Sicilians ARE Italians from the Isle of Sicily. Southern Italians are darker than northern Italians, just like southern French are darker than northern French. The darker hair, skin and eyes come from the more Mediterranean, (southern) areas, and the northern (lighter) ones are from the more alpine areas.
    Anonymous

• Italy has a complicated history; a bit like Germany. Germany was made up of many independent kingdoms until 1871, when it became a united country.

Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor Emmanuel.

The Italian government has been a democratic republic since June 2, During the early 1920s, Dictator Mussolini came into play. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Most Sicilians are happy to be distinguished from the rest of Italy. My Sicilian grandmother referred to her northern Italian neighbor as "some other kind of Italian". This goes for the rest of Italy and also within Sicily itself. It's interesting to read the history of Sicily and what made it's people who they are. It goes far beyond some snip from "True Romance" ( best movie costumes ever on what's her name).

http://www.zazzle.co.nz/im_not_italian_im_sicilian_tshirt-235145051510767200

but more improtantly:

http://www.zazzle.co.nz/its_sicilian_tshirt-235117371120895282
    jennasangel

Answer by jennasangel at 8:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2010