Washers & Dryers

Our washer and dryer are DONE! It has been years since we had to buy something like this, I know everyone is into the new front loaders. I was wondering what do you look for in your washer or dryer, what do you like or dislike about yours? Unfortunately we do not have $2000 to spend on a set, so overall price included what do you think is a great deal? Any and all suggestions and thoughts are welcomed!

Rebecca727

Asked by Rebecca727 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• When we first moved into our house, we went to a used appliance dealer and got a refurbished washer, dryer and stove for $375 and free delivery. That was 7 years ago and they are still going strong. I've been waiting for the day we can afford a new front-loader, but so far we have been really happy with what we have. I only ever use 2 of the 6 settings on the washer, so I think if I had a new fancy one with a hundred different buttons I wouldn't know what to do with myself, lol.
    Anonymous

• We had to buy a new set about 2 years ago. We went to Lowe's and got a mid-grade set. I didn't want anything off-brand, and knew that we didn't NEED anything fancy. We spent about $600 for both, and the only fancy thing we have on ours is a "Jeans" setting on the dryer.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 4:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I had a front loader for years when I lived in England because that was all that was available, and in 11 years never had a problem with it.  Now I have top loader and I hate it!  It is very hard on clothes.  I find they start fraying on the cuffs and develop small holes.  I never had that with my front loader.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I have the LG front loaders and I love them. My SIL got her set also LG from one of those scratch and dent places and she paid about what one would cost for the both of them. She also got some sort of warranty, too. I remember she had a small problem that they came out and fixed that was under the warranty.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Lowe's sells washer and dryer sets starting at a few hundred up to several thousand. Just remember though you get what you paid for. The cheaper sets have less bells ans whistles.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I just bought an LG set last week from Home Depot (model #2301) , going from a top loader to a front loading machine. I can do twice the amount of laundry that fit in my top loader and it takes a fraction of the water. I did my research with Consumer Reports for two weeks before deciding on which brand and model to buy. Mine are not TOP of the line, but they are a recommended buy. I spent less than $1500 for the pair because I watched the sales and waited for the right deal. HD matches any other store sales, so keep that in mind. The set I got has 9 different wash cycles and the dryer determines its own settings based on what I'm drying. I LOVE the fact that it has no annoying buzzers....they have "ringtones" as my kids call them.

I still have copies of the Consumer Reports 2010 Buying Guide for washers & dryers; if you'd like them, send me a PM with your email address & I can forward the files to you for evaluation.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• A few tips with the front loading washer if you get one: use the HE detergent, not regular detergent. Regular detergent can ruin the machine. Also, you'll need to dry the gasket and leave the door open for a while after you're done washing for the day because mildew will quickly build up. Most complaints center around those few things and "they don't get the clothes clean." Well, front loading machine or not, that grass stain will need pretreating. Front loading machines are not magical.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2010