Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will medicaid

pay for Enfamil Nutramigen if my doctor prescribes it? We are trying it for the first time today, but my WIC checks for the month have already been used for the Prosobee, so I was wondering if it works for him and my doctor prescribes it can I just go and get what I need?


Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 4:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 6 (104 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Call your doctor and have him/her send a note to WIC. They have to do what the doctor says. I've been through this. I don't know about if your checks for the month were already used if they will give you more but even if they make you wait you can get samples from them and maybe from the doctor if you explain the situation to them. They do get formula at doctor's offices. And it is no one's business why she isn't breastfeeding.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • Probably not but if you get foodstamps, you can buy the formula on foodstamps. Ask the doctor for a sample can. Also, if you know someone who works for Abbott Labs, they get a discount on the formula that is made by Abbott Labs and I believe Nutrimagen is made by them.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • Yes,it will; but why aren't you breastfeeding?

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • Each Medicaid plan has it's own list of drugs and things it will pay for. You should be able to find out about your plan online and what it covers. If it doesn't say online there should be a phone number.

    If your baby is having that much problems with formula you really should consider relactation. Your baby needs your milk. A La Leche League Leader will help you for free. The lactation consultant at WIC should help you. If you don't want to breast feed you could pump and feed the baby your milk. If you are trying to breastfeed you may be able to get milk from a milkbank if you don't have enough and it would be free. You could also try the website MilkShare.

    There are discussion boards at Mothering Magazine that would support you if you decide to relactate. is a good breastfeeding website

    Answer by Gailll at 4:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • well i live in lousisana and medicaid doesnt cover our milk wic does.. and my son was put on that milk and we had to have a script from his ped to change his milk.. it hasnt to be aprroved by the head office,, but my local office gave me a coupleof samples and i ended up buying a can before they finally did approve it.. but its great milk its a little thin so we used cereal bc most babies will not hold it down. (its to thin)

    Answer by deverrick at 4:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • I dont think you will be able to get new checks for the month, but your future checks should be able to be changed. I know that they will follow what your doctor prescribes.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • you CAN get new wic checks you need to go back into the office and tell them about the switch the doctor has to fill out a form thats very specific and if anything is wrong they will deny they should explain that to you..but you can always go back to wic and get that form and they WILL switch the checks out for you...from what i know medicaid will not cover any kind of food it's not a medicine and fs will cover it if you have them

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • It is incredibly rude and intrusive to badger someone about breastfeeding. She is not asking about that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010