When you read to your children how long do you read or how many books???

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Asked by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started reading to my son @ 6 month, about 5-6 times a day just a few board books. Now we only read 15 min. out of the day. My daughter is 6 month and I am starting to read to her, so hopefully I can read that much again. I love reading to my kids!!!

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• At bedtime, each kid gets 2 books (we have 2 kids), and whichever parent is reading gets a pick too. We don't start a new story after 8pm though, so they know they have to be cooperative for pj's and teeth brushing in order to have enough time to read. During the day, I will read as many books as they bring me, unless we are out running errands all day.
    Anonymous

• My son wouldn't let us read to him. Maybe one book if anything. LOL He ended up learing quickly and easily regardless. And was the best in his frist grade class. Who knew? I only realized that he could read and wasn't memorizing the kindergarten books when he looked at the globe and asked, "what's Afghanistan?" I was like, WHAT? He could read...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• we read one story at bed time, anywhere from 5-15 minutes, depending on which book they choose. but sometimes they just want to hear a made up story of princesses and mermaids or dolphins, things they like. but they get a bed time story every night after they brush their teeth and get dressed for bed. they seem to like the made up stories better.
    Anonymous

• It is recommended that a child be read to for atleast 20 minutes a day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We read at nap and bedtime - 2-3 books each sitting. then we try to get him to sit for them here and there but he's far too busy most of the time and I don't want it to seem like a chore to do
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I read to my girls before bedtime.

but now I read with my middle dd afterschool for her home reading and word lists.

oldest reads on her own.

and youngest I read to when she wants me to. usually after lunch.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Usually they bring me one book and have me read it to them at least 3 times. I read at various times of the day depending on the kids and what they want.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I no longer read to my son, he reads to me and DH! Every day, he has a reading assignment sent home for homework, so now we get the benefit of a "bedtime story'.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Reading is a constant all day here. They always want me to read them books. But our set time before bed is 2 books for my 3½ year old (hers are longer) and 5 books for my 15 month old (hers are shorter). It takes about 10-15 minutes to read bed time books. In total, I think I read for an hour or a little more a day.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010