Picky eater? Please help!

My 5 and 1/2 yr old is extremely picky when it comes to food. I've tried making her taste things, I've tried making her go hungry if she doesn't eat what's served, but she just won't eat what she doesnt' want. She has completely eliminated all fruits (even juice), most vegetables, except corn and tomato sauce (even picky when it comes to the sauce). She eats most meats, except red, which isn't a problem. She eats most grains, and legumes. She's my 6th child of 7 and I'm getting really worried about her health, her dr. isn't concerned about her diet, but she just seems to get sick so much here lately. These picky habits have been going on since 6mos of age. Please help!

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does she have any allergies?Maybe she gets tummy aches from certain foods and is eliminating things that make her feel sick.
    Anonymous

• If she doesn't have any allergies - she is being picky because she is allowed to be. Don't allow her to tell YOU how things are. You are the parent, if she doesn't want to eat what she is served, then she doesn't eat. Eventually she WILL get hungry enough and eat what she is given. The best thing you can do is stick to your guns and stop this now.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I always make our kids eat at least one bite of each thing we have, even if they say they hate it. A trick I read in Parenting Magazine is to have the kid roll a die and then eat as many bites as what they rolled. We do that sometimes when we have broccoli, or anything our kids complain about.
    Anonymous

• I remember when I was a kid, my dad would make me sit at the table until my plate was clean, and if I wouldn't eat it, I had the same thing for breakfast, lunch, etc until I ate it all. I'm not that harsh with my girls, but I do make them give it a fair shot. If they decide to get down from the table, they'd better not ask me for a snack or anything until they eat their food first. I don't make them eat it cold for breakfast the next morning, but they do get their dinner reheated for lunch sometimes.
    Maybe she has issues with the texture or something. If she will eat things like oatmeal or muffins, you can sneak in fruit and veggies that way (puree them). Do you think you could fool her with a veggie burger, or maybe a meatloaf full of shredded carrots and zuchini? I wouldn't push her too hard to eat straight veggies, but I also wouldn't just give in and make her separate meals.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• She is getting sick because the meat and its additives are weakening her immune system. This is a fun pudding to make together: • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk, or milk of your choice
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a kid who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

• Our youngest son was 8 y/o when we adopted him and would only eat meat and french fries. We had a small serving of the veggie of the day same with fruit on a small plate, on a dinner size plate we would have his meat and "tater". Both plates were in view of him. We told him he could have the meat and "tater after he ate his fruit and veggies and then his dessert. The first 2 weeks I thought he would starve to death, but I always had a big breakfast with lots of protein and grains. He finally started to taste the foods using a lot of dips and cheese. We gradually put the veggies and fruit on the big plate still with the rule veggies and fruit first. It took a while but he now eats everything and I mean everything that does not eat him first, LOL. He is very healthy and rarely gets a cold. We did allow him and our other 3 kids to declare 3 foods they do not like, his are asparagus, plums and corn beef. Worked for us.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010