Do you agree with this woman?

So I was talking to a family "friend" yesterday about my husband leaving for Haiti soon, and she says "Yeah, but he's in the service, so he's only doing it because he has to." When I corrected her and told her that he'd volunteered (he's reserves now) she said "What? Is this getting him out of another, more dangerous deployment?" (Which is also not the case. He's not scheduled for another until 2012.)

What the....? This woman is obviously under the impression that one would only go to Haiti if it benefited them. Agree, or disagree?

Also, do you think that someone's reasons for going diminish the good that they do?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you should give her a local proctologists card and tell her to make an appointment so they can locate and remove her head from her ass.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think that woman is a selfish b*tch. And her opinion on why other people do what they do doesn't count.
    Good for your dh for going!
    Anonymous

• I think this woman sounds like the typical unappreciative american honestly. I get so tired of people who think like that. My husband went over seas because he wanted to, becuase he loves his country and because to him it was his duty. While he is no longer active, he still thinks there are alot of people out there who just do not understand military personnel and I have to agree with him.

I agree with you she could only see this as your husband trying to get around his duty or taking the easy way. BTW your DH rocks for volunteering to go when he didnt have to, that is the true side to the military, to go when and where they are needed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• LOL...sorry

This reminds me of the episode of *FRIENDS* where Joey was trying to convince Phoebe that there's no such thing as a selfLESS good deed.

But, yeah, your "friend" is effed up in the head for thinking that.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Not saying your husband is like this but the decision makers in the  U.S. only involve us in  these acts of kindness because they want something from it. The U.S. is that selfish.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Ha, MamaK.

I absolutely love FRIENDS, and that's a great episode!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Ugh, I am so sick of people who talk out of their butt. I applaud your husband for what he's doing! And no, I don't believe that all people only do things to gain or avoid something.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Sad, that some ppl just do not understand a "Just" society-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My husband would have easily volunteered had an opportunity been presented, for no other reason than to provide aid.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We looked into going, but have some responsibilities in the US that we can not turf-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010