I am planning a natural birth and I am wandering if there are herbal alternatives to an epi.

Jonnah

Asked by Jonnah at 5:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Stay away from Herbals unless you ask your doc, always ask your doc. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe. Narcotics can be a lot safer then some of the herbal meds out there. So just ask your doc, i'm sure he/she can give you some alternatives to pain meds during labor, best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• A warm bath is a great alternative.
    Anonymous

• Herbs are problematic because they act as drugs and you can't be sure of the strength because they aren't regulated.

People can mean different things when they say natural. If you want a birth with no interventions then home birth or a birth center are the best options. It's hard to find a hospital that won't make you have an IV and monitor at least part of the time. Waterbirth is great.

Take childbirth classes. Go to La Leche League meetings. Read. Check out the Lamaze, CMI, and other childbirth websites. Watch homebirth, unassisted birth and waterbirth videos on Youtube. Hire a doula to be with you. These are all things you can do to improve your chances of having the birth you want.

I had 3 sons, the first 2 no interventions at all. The 3rd was induced for medical reasons but no other interventions, no pain meds.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If you are prepared for childbirth, through education and exercise, you will do just fine. Yes, there will be some pain, but nothing that you can't handle.

The long term effects of an epidural can be some much worse that labor.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't recommend herbs, but I would recommend not laboring in bed at all. I would recommend hot bath or shower, taking classes to prepare yourself, walking, hiring a doula to advocate for you (SO usually doesn't do a good job). I had 2 intervention free, natural child births in the hospital (first with midwife and second with an OB due to insurance change) and it was wonderful. yes I had to be monitored initially when I got there for 15 minutes but I was allowed to rock in a chair, squat etc as I saw fit and then I hopped in the shower and the nurse came in with a doppler every 15 minutes to check heart rate. I did get the monitor back on while pushing, but I was allowed to push however I wanted (doc fought me a little, but I just did it anyway) I chose squatting for both. I did not have to have an IV until after wards and only because I hemorrhaged with the first one pretty bad.
    Anonymous

• Freedom in labor is your friend! If you can be well-supported, confident, comfortable, you can have a lovely natural birth!

I have not heard of anyone using herbs in labor~ using other techniques are common, though.
    If you're interested let me know, read, take classes, and/or contact a doula.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• your body gives you pain killers, they are natural, and they increase as the contractions do!
    there are a lot of techniques that people use to relax, hypno birthing is pretty popular these days, although i don't know anything about it.
    i have had 4 kids, and so far, no painful births!
    good luck to you and congrats!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010