ONLINE SCHOOL?

My husband is active duty military and i was looking at some online schools where i can get my associate's in medical assistant and the only one i can find is Kaplan university and they are soooooo expensive its ridiculous! Does anyone know of a good school online? maybe some that have military discounts lol?

Armywife510

Asked by Armywife510 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools (like kaplan and univ. of Phoenix). They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I went through UOP for my associates, and I DO NOT recommend them at all. They are sooo expensive. What it cost me there to take 1 class is the same amount now I wam paying for 4 classes at a CC. Most CC have online courses and night classes to fit the schedule of the studnets. I would just do alot of lloking around and see what feels comfortable to you.
    sent4u5041

Answer by sent4u5041 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Check out www.classesusa.com. It helps you figure out which school to use. I originally started at UMUC but didn't like it (but my cousin did and got her masters there). So I transferred to Liberty University and am part of their online program. It is like $6000 a year. I highly suggest going to a brick and mortar school that happens to have an online program.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Grand Canyon University has online degrees as does Arizona State University. Both of these are "real" schools with online programs, not primarily online. However, I do not believe either one has the degree you are looking for.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 6:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I am currently "attending" the University of Phoenix. I dont know why everyone is saying they are expensive, I am not paying anything out of pocket. My entire PROGRAM is $8840.
    connor12907

Answer by connor12907 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• connor12907 - It is because usually you can't use the degree because many employers see UoP as nothing more than a diploma mill.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I know most people will not hire people from schools such as UoP. They have a really bad reputation. Not saying anything bad for those who are going there because that is your choice, its just youre going to have a rather hard time landing a job if that is the college you choose.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I agree with what most people are saying about University of Phoenix...Kaplan and other "for-profit" diploma mills. They are not rigorous and exist only as corporations. Stick with Community Colleges and or State Schools that have online programs. If I were hiring and had a choice between a person with a degree from say Arizona State and a person from Kaplan....I would choose the ASU grad no question.
    mommalaa

Answer by mommalaa at 2:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Just checked my Alma-matter. Northern Arizona University www.nau.edu they are a real state school and offer a medical assistant program all online. This is a great place and their online curriculum is rigorous and fully accredited.
    mommalaa

Answer by mommalaa at 2:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010