How can I get my daughter to sleep without being swaddled?

They only way my husband and I are able to get our daughter to sleep is if we swaddle her. She is 9 months old today and she is getting too big for the blankets that we have. It seems like if we don't swaddle her than she doesn't sleep well.

tnvplus2

Asked by tnvplus2 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My twins were addicted to swaddling. For them it was part of the bedtime routine; they got to the point they would drag their blankets to the livingroom, spread them out, and then try to swaddle themselves when they got ready for bed. We started swaddling them looser at some point, and then we'd come in after they were asleep and unswaddle them (they usually had already rolled out of their blankets). Around 19 months we took the swaddling blankets and replaced them with "cool" toddler blankets and pillows. Footed pajamas might also help since they make them feel warm and snuggled. GL!
    Anonymous

• I would just keep at it until she gets to big. ...eventually the wrap will become loser and loser as she grows and it will be a gradual loss of the swaddle.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• IMO, if she sleeps, just keep right on swaddling. use a grown-up size throw blanket or a sheet, or look for one of those sleep sacks that are like pj's only the legs are all one piece ( we had one than was a 12 month size, so I know they make them in big sizes).
    Anonymous

• If she's sleeping I don't see the swaddling as a problem. You just need bigger blankets; if you sew, you can make blankets that are just the right size for your bigger baby. You can buy really cute flanel and hem it or sew another fabric to it.
    Anonymous

• My 21 year old son sleeps with the blankets tucked and wrapped all around him like a buritto.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010