how do you go about getting a toddler on a sleep schedule?

my lil girl is 19 months old and she refuses to go to bed at a decent hour and i have a 1 month old so sleep is almost impossible as it is without having a lil girl that don,t want to sleep!

mommy0f2529

Asked by mommy0f2529 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just keep putting your child to bed at a certian time. First you give her warning. Like an hour before bedtime. Then when it is time to go to bed tell her again. then just put her to bed.

Answer by louise2 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You're the adult. You put her to bed and if she gets up you put her BACK to bed and if she gets up you do it again. I had to do this with my DSS when i became his primary care giver.
    Also, if you don't have a routine it's time to make one. Do a bath, read some books, get a last drink and then it's time for bed. (just an example).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The routine IS her warning. She will learn that the routine means that the day is ending, it will help her wind down and get ready for bed.
    outstandingLove

• put her in her bed and leave - she'll get the idea
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When my son transitioned from our bed to his own at 2 years- we put him into the same routine as the other kids. Jammies on, teeth brushed, story, into bed. My husband and I took turns for about a month- we put him into bed, gave him a kiss and turned off the lights. If he got up, we picked him up and put him back into bed, pulled up blankets and sat back down on the chair. Never saying a word.

For about a week, he cried. The next week, he spent a while talking until he fell asleep. The third week, he cried again. The last week, he talked and we moved our chairs outside the door. That full week, he tried getting up again- but we were still there. Just picked him up and put him back into bed. Never say a word. (Sometimes, I'd kiss his forehead. :-)

One day, almost at the end of week 4... he never got up again. The next night, same thing and I went downstairs.

From then on- he goes right into his bed and goes to sleep. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I will warn you- this first few nights took forever. I thought it would NEVER work. The process seemed like it took FOREVER at the time. But today, totally worth the time spent. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010